Turbo 350 leaking when not running

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by rocket dawg, Sep 13, 2019.

1. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

Seems to be on the passenger side of the trans, probably the dipstick or the cooling lines. Does not leak when hot and running. Sent the car into a trans shop to fix all the leaks and mechanic couldnt get at the large round seal ( accumulator? ) on that same side because the header/exhaust was in the way. Seems to me that part is high enough that it wouldn't leak while not running. I replaced the dipstick and seal with something similar to this one seal wise (cant find the exact one I bought.) The leaking is getting worse. I've had daily driver 350's that never leaked a drop, probably 5 different ones over the years. Gonna drop the trans this off season and replace whatever needs to be replaced. I need a dipstick that dont leak. I stored the car for years without it leaking, now it leaks overnight and it's more than an occasional drip, it leaves a puddle. thanks seal is listed below from summit

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-1259475

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Fluid flows back from the converter and the level is higher when it's sitting.

TH350 transmissions used a couple of different dipstick tubes and seals over the years.

One had an O-ring which fit into a groove in the dipstick tube and seated in a grove in the transmission case.
    Others used the top-hat seal. (Which is what you linked.)

The top hat design won't seal properly in a transmission designed for an O-ring seal.

You'll need to check the tube and case for that groove and use an O-ring seal if that's what you have.
    Even then... You may need to use some hi-temp RTV to get it to properly seal.

3. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

Yes, it originally had an O-ring tube on it. Interesting. Anyone spend the big dollars and get a Lokar flex tube? It needs the pan dropped because a fitting goes inside. If I drop header or the exhaust, is it difficult to replace the accumulator O-ring? Trans fluid is thin and the whole side of the trans is wet and really hard to pin point the leak. thanks for the info!

4. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

I replaced an O-ring dipstick tube with the hat style and solved my leak. I don't think your seal should be leaking.

5. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Accumulator o ring is easy to change. When you remove it you have a flood of trans fluid coming out. The trans pan bolts are only around 10 ft lbs of torque, something to remember.