Turbo 350

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by James Schumpert, Jun 2, 2019.

1. James Schumpert

James Schumpert New Member

I have a 1981 Camaro with a turbo 350 i just bought. I've only driven the car a few time and noticed in gear going slow it was reving high. I took it home and parked and now it wont go out of gear. I've checked the cable and its shifting fine. It now wont go into park it staying in forward gear all the time . I was told it has a shift kit. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Thanks

2. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

That all sounds like worst case scenario. Revving is either burned up or low on fluid about to burn up. It sounds like the internal linkage may have unhooked. If the cable looks like it's moving alright you will have to remove the pan and see why it isn't working.

3. James Schumpert

4. James Schumpert

Fuild is new but does have a few specks of metal . Does not smell burnt. I noticed when I first put it in drive from neutral I had to bump the stick up a little, it felt like it was in 2nd gear. I thought it was a little weird. I believe your right the little s hook must have came off inside. I will take the pan off sometime this week. Thanks

5. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good luck on it James and welcome to the site.

6. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

1. Best case senario, it could be an improperly installed shift kit. Buy a new kit and install it.

2. Worst case: transmission needs to be rebuilt. Honsestly I've rebuilt a lot of TH350 s and they don't require a lot of special tools or tools you can fabricate.

7. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

http://nastyz28.com/threads/th350-rebuild-online-free-diy-post.53671/

That is the link to the sticky here on rebuilding a TH350.

Jake doesn't like the B&M master rebuild or shift kits. I have had good luck with them. One thing I highly recommend is to machine the clutch pistons so you have fiber element clutch packs.

Tools are shown throughout that sticky.

8. James Schumpert

Thank you !

9. James Schumpert

Yep removed the trans pan and yep the s link was hanging down. So now to put the s link back in andtighten up the nut holding the shifter Turner thingy. New filter and gasket. Praying this was it. Thank you!