Turn Signal cancel

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by nuhmizer, Mar 13, 2020.

1. nuhmizer

nuhmizer Veteran Member

Not sure if this is the best forum for this topic

My turn signals don't turn off when I turn the steering wheel. I replaced the turn signal cam even though the old one looked fine but it still doesn't work.
    Is there another mechanism in the column that is broken?
    It's a 71 with the original column
    thanks

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Cancelling is all handled in the column by the cam and all its associated parts. They have to be assembled correctly and all working together. I once found that the cheapie replacement springs in the cancel assembly weren't right to do the job and needed some adjustment (bending) to make them work.

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

If you turn the wheel lock-to-lock they never cancel? Mine would cancel @ 180° out, or when the steering wheel was upside down. Shaft was upside down when installed.

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The horn contact (black plastic ring with brass terminal strip on it that makes contact with the brass spring plunger horn contact) has a "nub" on it that hits the turn signal cancelling mechanism. Don't know if that can get worn down or if maybe the wrong one is installed. I have problems with mine not cancelling all the time. Have replaced same parts as you and the horn contact button. Seem to happen when I put my ARG quick ratio steering box in. Thought it had to do with taking less steering wheel input, (left didn't want to cancel right did), I sat in the garage one day cycled wheels back and forth worked 100% of time, go out on road, I look like some old guy (I am but that is beside the point) driving around with my blinker on. aaargh!