Turn Signal Cancelling

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 71smalbloc, Mar 31, 2019.

1. 71smalbloc

71smalbloc Member

I recently replaced my steering box, center link, and rag joint and since then my turn signals won't cancel properly. I have to turn wheel past center point to cancel when turning right and and the left signal will cancel immediately when the wheel is turned about 180 degrees. They cancelled perfectly before I did the steering work. Does anyone know how I can correct this? The steering wheel was turned several times when the linkage was disconnected and I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Thanks,
    Ian

2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Sounds like when you reinstalled the steering shaft to the steering box & rag joint you didn’t get it indexed correctly. You will need to separate it again, position the steering wheel in the correct orientation then reattached the steering shaft to the steering box. Hope this helps.

3. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

I agree with the green bee.

4. 71smalbloc

71smalbloc Member

Yeah, I figured that would be the case. Is there a particular method to indexing or is it just trial and error?

5. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

I would get it close to the eye straight.
    Then go get an alinement. Should get one after working on the steering stuff anyway.
    Then you may have to reclock the wheel in the real straight posistion. Then you will know you are dead nuts straight. turn signal should be fine now.

6. jamieg285

jamieg285 Veteran Member

7. 71smalbloc

71smalbloc Member

Well, the steering wheel is almost perfectly aligned and the rag joint was correctly installed over the flat of the shaft.

8. mrluckies

mrluckies Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A properly set up gm steering box will have the pitman arm parallel (aka inline) with the steering box and at the same time, a flat on the input shaft of the steering box facing up (flat will be on the top side of the shaft and parallel with the ground and parallel with the 4 bolt cover mounting surface - hopefully this makes sense).

Here’s a good website with info on centering (I highly recommend you read it):

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/StrgSystemCenteringChevelleRev19MY06.doc

Other things to check:

A steering column with a double d end (I think later 2nd gens has this?) is easy to install the intermediate shaft 180 out.

Early columns had splines that I think had small flat section so it only goes on one way.

If you rebuilt the intermediate shaft, did you put it back together 180 out? Either the column joint to the d shaft, the collapsible shaft pieces themselves or the rag joint.

It’s important the steering box is also centered when the wheels are straight because gm machined a tighter tolerance on the sector gear at center to take play out when driving straight (keeps the car from feeling like it wanders).

71smalbloc and scrap--metal like this.
  9. scrap--metal

scrap--metal Member

10. 71smalbloc

71smalbloc Member

If I turn the steering wheel 180 degrees and then put the turn signals on, they cancel perfectly. Turns out the small and large bolts on the rag joint are on opposite sides compared to the original. I should be able to take the rag joint back off, swap the bolts and everything should work like it used to. Thanks for the help guys!