Turn Signal Issue

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Scaleytail, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Member

When Parking Lights or Headlights are tunnel on ......my left hand turn signal (light blue wire) lights up. All Headlights Parkng Lights working fine. My left hand and right hand turn signal lights work correctly regardless on Headlight Parking lights on or off. Hazards work fine.
    1979 Camaro
    So why when parking lights or Headlight lights are on ...why does my left turn signal stay lit?
    I do have about 9 volts coming in on the light blue wire (with lights on) / then with the left hand turn signal activated I get the 12 volt pulse.
    I did try to search ..but nada ....Any help always appreciated

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds like a bad socket for the turn signal.
    That's generally the kind of behavior you will get if the two contacts (for the two filaments) are touching in the socket.

Could be a bad bulb too.
    (I've seen replacement bulbs where the two locking studs are not properly aligned with the two contacts.)

Dave Nelson likes this.
  3. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Member

Good point.....since they share the same socket on the front light, will start there. Will check tonight. TY

4. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Member

5. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Member

Hmmmmm.... checked sockets flipped bulbs ..same.....getting 3.76 D.C. thru lt blue wires when parking lights turned on.
    When I pull the side marker light I get 0vdc on lt Blue
    Tested the side marker 11.99 D.C. On Brown

6. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Member

Let me start over —the light blue wire in the dash going to the turn signal indicator dash light —what should I see for voltage when the turn signal is activated ?

7. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

I think what might be happening is what they call back feeding. On your car on the front end lights, the bulbs have dual filaments with one filament being a higher wattage than the other so that when the parking lights are on, the less wattage filament is powered up and then when the turn signals or flashers are operated, the higher wattage filament is powered up but this single bulb relies on a single ground for things to work right. If for some reason the bulb was not getting a good ground and power is applied to the parking light filament, it then wants to find a path to ground so the power then then getting applied to the other filament which is tied to the instrument panels turn signal light and now with the parking lights on, power goes to the parking light filament, back feeding into the turn signal filament and then feeding into the instrument panel turn signal bulb.

Jim

8. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Member

Ok... on these font marker / turn signal lights the hot is brown. So does the lt Blue for the left turn signal provide the path to ground via the turn signal switch?

This all started due to the fact I added new gauges and a Custom works Performance Instrument Panel. Labeled everything and took my time ..... but like my wife's says.....always multiple trips to the store for a simple project

9. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

On the harness that went to the old instrument panel, there should have been a light blue that was for the left turn signal light in the dash. If power off of the turn signal switch was connected to this light blue wire, when the ignition switch was in the run position and the left turn signal stalk was activated, then power was sent out of the turn signal switch TO the left turn signal bulb in the dash and it would light (providing the other side of the bulb was grounded).
    Now this light blue wire went between the turn signal switch flat connector on the column and the plug for the instrument panel BUT it also went to a spot on the bulkhead connector on the interior side. On the engine side you then had a light blue wire that went out to the left turn signal light socket.

I really doubt it's from your wiring after adding new gauges BUT who's to say sometimes. I have had coincidences that were not tied to me doing something to the car where I was working at and just happened.

Jim

10. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Member

Ok -- everything works ...but the left hand turn signal being a lit ...changed out gauges and to Custom Work Performance bezel tagged everything and connected wire for wire.
    The Brown going to marker is hot ..what should be the light blue wire be a ground?
    I'm little confused cause I thought the marker light like a
    all lights need a ground?
    In the the dash I am getting 3 volts on the light blue..pulses to 6 vdc when turn signal activated