Turn Signal Issue

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Scaleytail, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Can you disconnect JUST the light blue at the dash and then with your meter see if you are getting voltage on the wire coming out of the harness on the car ?.

Jim

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The marker light gets its ground from whichever wire, (light blue or brown) isn't being powered at the time. When the lights are off, the brown wire is ground. When the lights are powered, the brown wire has 12v. The light blue wire is ground when the signals are not in use. When the signals are in use, the light blue wire pulses between ground and +12.

3. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Member

Yes ...at the harness getting 3.77 vdc and 6.06 vdc when it pulses

4. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Member

With parking lights or Headlights on -front side markers are lit -and the turn signal dash lights are lit-I pull the side front marker bulb and that sides dash signal indicator goes out.(same for either side)
    activate turn to the left signal and the left side front marker light goes out....dash signal stays on
    activate turn to right signal and the right side front marker light goes out ....dash signal stay on
    What am I missing??

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Have you tried a different flasher?

There’s one for the signals and a different one for the hazards.

If hazards work and signal light don’t work... switch the flashers around and see it the problem follows a flasher.

One is in the fuse block and the other one is on a pigtail need the heater control panel.

6. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

The reason I wanted to have you test the light blue at the connection behind the dash with it NOT connected to the instrument panel is to show you that power is coming from the car side and NOT from wiring you did putting in the new instrument panel. I wanted to do this test just to verify nothing screwy was from the new dash install.

The issue from what I can tell is NOT from your rewiring of putting in a new instrument panel unless things have not been made evident.

SO, now can you twist out the left front light housing to where you can then see the barrel of the light bulb in the socket ?.

If so, reconnect your light blue to your instrument panel and verify you still have the left indash light coming on when the parking lights are on.

You should still have the issue.

Now what you need is a short section of wire that will reach between the left front light socket and the battery negative post. On each end strip off about 1/2" of insulation off of the wire and what this will become is a cheap test jumper wire.

With the headlight switch pulled halfway out and verifying the left indash turn signal indicator is on (which it should be) you then need to now cram (for lack of a better wording to do this connection) the one end of your test jumper wire in between the barrel of the left front turn signal housing to where it makes contact between the barrel of the light bulb and the ground connection in the socket.

Now take the other end of the test jumper wire and connect it to the battery negative post somehow.

If I'm thinking it is a backfeed issue,you should now be able to look inside the car and the left turn signal light should be off.

Jim

PS, I'm going to hold off right now explaining things but the voltages you have been seeing can very well be inline as the low voltage is due to to measuring things past lights in series off of the parking light circuit and then getting the higher reading is from a more direct source of power from the turn signal switch.

7. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Member

Just went ahead on grounded the bulb outer inside socket as u ask. No help.
    Took the meter to side marker light
    With turn signal off I get 12 vdc brown and about 1 meg ohm to ground.( think should be lower resistance to ground.
    With turn signal on I get 12vdc brown and oscillating 6vdc .
    As Mr Twisted Metal mentioned ..perhaps the flasher
    I changed over last year to all leds with an electronic flasher .everything worked
    It is a ccc Ef-32 2p flasher ( had regular lights for gauges) had leds for indicators.
    Something is no switching for the side markers or.........
    Go to get another flasher ....but unlike the one I have this flasher has a ground

8. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Member

Ok ...got a new flasher..this one came with a ground pigtail...the good new is everything flashes and works ..the side markers flash
    The bad news the indicator on the dash still light up with the parking/ Headlights on....they flash brighter when turn signal is activated.
    Not sure why ....but .....
    Still don't have a clue why the signal indicators are getting voltage with the Parking\ Head lights on.....

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Often, the dash indicators coming on with lighting is caused by bad grounds on the signal/park lights. Check your grounds with a meter to see if they are secure.

10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The 79-81 Camaros only have one ground per side. (Black wire, radiator support, just inboard of the headlights.)
    The markers, signals and headlights all use the same ground.

IIRC... The only wire in the dash which should get power with the headlight switch out (in either position) is the gray one for the dash back lighting.

Did you try switching the flashers?
    I don't know how a flasher with a ground would work in a system designed for a two prong flasher.