Turn signals wont work

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Terrys75LT, May 12, 2019.

1. Terrys75LT

Terrys75LT New Member

I just got a 75 LT and someone cannibalized the turn signal connector on the main harness side. It was a project when I got it and not running. It's running great but now I'm down to the under dash, guages etc. I'm thinking grounding issues. Does anyone know the locations?

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The grounds should be near the lights themselves. However, if the wiring is chopped up, it likely can't work anymore.

3. Terrys75LT

Terrys75LT New Member

There is one wire missing off the original harness (black one). There are solderless connectors on the rest of them (9 total). That’s why I asked about the location of the ground under the dash.

Attached Files:

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

5. Terrys75LT

Terrys75LT New Member

Yeah I’ve been working with these and actually the parking and brake lights work. The hazard and signals are not. Wasn’t sure if a ground somewhere in that circuit was the cause. Car has been dirty for quite a while and has been worked on by someone without much electrical knowledge.

6. Terrys75LT

Terrys75LT New Member

There is one wire missing off the original harness (black one). There are solderless connectors on the rest of them (9 total). That’s why I asked about the location of the ground under the dash.

7. azkeebler

azkeebler Veteran Member

What may have happened, it looks as maybe the prior owner installed a later year column that had a different turn signal harness and they just cut and connected. Taillights on the 77 and earlier obviously are wired differently than the 78 and up, i believe you need to move the white wire one terminal over in the connector to supply power of turn and hazard to your lights as it may currently be wired for 78- up segregated turn and brake light system.

8. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

The brake lights, hazards and signals all use the same filament in the bulbs. Thus there is no ground issue and the filaments aren't burned out.

9. Terrys75LT

Terrys75LT New Member

After further testing that's exactly what happened. Thanks