Twin Turbo Lq4 upgrade

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by cubicylndr16, Feb 25, 2014.

1. cubicylndr16

cubicylndr16 Veteran Member

I felt as though it was time to join the LS movement. Big Bock out, TT LS in. Found a complete 2001 Lq4 and truck harness with 0411 pcm and some brand new Precision 6776 ball bearing turbos on craigslist for a great price. I'm going to use Dirty Dingo Sliders to mount the engine so that the existing drivetrain can be used as is with the exception of new hydraulic clutch linkage .

The block now has a finished bore of 4.035" and 4" stroke to end up at 408ci. Heads are stock 317 castings that I ported and polished. The plan for now is a Compstar rotating assembly, JE pistons, 96lb injectors, LS6 intake and ported TB. Shooting for 750WHP on 14psi of boost.

The fuel system has been upgraded with an A1000 pump, -10 feed from pump to rails, 2x -8 feed from tank sump to pump, existing -8 feed now as a return line, and Aeromotive Pump controller to control pump speed by rpm.

The truck harness has been worked over to remove the rear o2 sensors, added 2nd speed fan trigger, removed MAF, among other small touches and cleaned up the excessive wire length. I welded a bracket under the cowl on the inside to accommodate a stock PCM holder so everything is super clean.

Boost control will be done through a Turbosmart E-Boost 2 unit, twin Tial Q bov's, and twin Precision 46mm wastegates.

Now that the car has been suited to accept it's new powerplant...

Twin Precision 67mm ball bearing turbos. .70ar cold .81ar hot sde.
    [​IMG]

2001 Lq4
    [​IMG]

Quick mock up. Truck accessory drive, F-body water pump with truck pulley, F-body oil pan, and LS6 intake to come.
    [​IMG]

Motor was hot tanked and mocked back up for now.
    [​IMG]

Mark Sodon
    www.MARKsodon.com

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  2. cubicylndr16

Currently I have the 4" cowl and have tons of room but this will be replaced with the Anvil power bulge hood.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  3. cubicylndr16

Flipped some C5 Vette manifolds. I tried the truck manifolds and 2010 Camaro's but the C5 made the cut.
    [​IMG]

Hotside is 3" 304 stainless. Honestly, I never used the Pypes tailpipes from my kit and guess what...
    [​IMG]

4. cubicylndr16

[​IMG]

I had a few minutes to kill today, so I figured I would post a new thread. Plenty more to come....

5. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Most of your pictures will not load for me. I think you are underestimating what kind of horse power 11psi will put down. Good luck with the rest of the build.

6. cubicylndr16

Hmm. Not loading on mobile for me. PC seems to work. Agree on the HP. I really think I can put down 850whp+ at 14psi but Im trying to surprise myself.

7. rvalley

rvalley Veteran Member

looking great! whats your reason for deleting the maf? i have been scratching turbo parts together for my ls and keep reading over and over to have a maf.

8. cubicylndr16

Going with a speed density tune. This seems to be an ongoing debate between tuners. Some say that running the MAF has limits at certain boost levels. I went this direction because, to me, SD is more absolute. This is my first turbo build so I wanted to eliminate certain variables plus I have one of those tuners that's all for speed density with boost.

9. DFWJ

DFWJ Veteran Member

sick build!

and I would ditch the MAF for Speed density for sure.

Get a 3bar MAP and you'll be set.

What are you going to tune with ??

10. cubicylndr16

The Cobalt SS has a 2.5 bar map that I can get from the local GM dealer. From what I hear, this should be more accurate for boost around 14-20psi. But if anyone has some exp with 2.5 vs 3 bar, lmk. HP tuners is what everyone I know locally, including myself is using.