Twin Turbo LS2

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by mwhizard, Mar 2, 2011.

1. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

I am putting a pair of precision turbo 6265's on my LS2 in my '71 Camaro. I am using '07 Corvette manifolds, turned upside down, and am making all my own plumbing.
    I started by making some stands for the turbos which bolt to the oil drain flanges on the centre section of the turbo. I bolted angle brackets onto the front subframe of the car under where the turbos would/should sit. I used visegrips to clamp the turbo stand to the base and when I found the sweet spot I tack welded them in place. The hardest thing about this is figuring out where everything goes. You have to deal with oil feed/return lines, hot pipe in/out, wastegate, and cold pipe in/out. On top of this, the hot parts are very hot, so care must be taken as to their location. Away from painted areas, hoses, brake lines, power steering, etc. This step takes forever, but more time here means less time re-doing it because something doesnt fit later. I first mocked this all up with a running motor in place. That way I didn't forget about anything that might get in the way later.
    [​IMG]
    Got some work done today on the turbo to manifold pipes. I am using schedule 10 2.5" stainless steel pipe for these. As always a big thanks goes out to Mike and Ryan at Custom Metalcraft.

Turbos mocked up, passenger side was the more difficult side, so did that first.
    [​IMG]
    Some various pics of the process.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I did all the mock up with the springs removed from the front suspension, and the wheels on and jacked up to bottomed out with the wheel turned both ways to be sure there would be no clearance issues later. I will be making my own inner fenders. I also continually checked the clearance to the hood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  2. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

Some more pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Trying to figure out exactly where to put the wastegates. These are Precision Turbo 46mm units.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. My73LT

My73LT Veteran Member

Read the whole post... WOW. Thats.. just WOW.

Nice work, insane dedication to detail. Can't wait to see the turbo's in and running.

4. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

Very nice welding job. How much boost are you going to be running?

5. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Subscribed [​IMG]

Tig welds ?? Beautiful.....i'm taking welding in a CC now to learn this stuff the right way. One of my reasons, was to do this to my LS1.

I am really interested in what's going to be spent in parts for the turbo layout to work. :) I looked those up and they're roughly $900 a piece. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what other big $$ parts are needed besides waste gates. I've been told $10,000 for a TT setup. That really skerred me. But I heard if I do ALOT of the work myself, and buy all the parts, I'll save a fortune. So I'm trying to find out where I can save, and just the basic costs of the parts. Bent tubing I think I can do at the college as well. Found a tubing bender. :cool:

6. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The tubing part is the biggest PITFA!!!!Nobody has a framebender for 4" tubing or 3". It's not like you can use an exhaust shop as it crushes/wrinkles the tubing. Only in the past 5-6 yrs you can now buy the "u-turns" like the old header kits! Nice job on the lay out! I'm still on the fence....Turbo or Supercharger..........hmm both are gonna be a PITFA to do.....both cost $$$$ so hmmmm.

7. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looking good man!!!!
    VERY nice job on the welds:cool:

8. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

I allready tried the supercharger. I had a procharger that had been on an old boat I used to own so originally I made brackets and adapters to use it on the original LS2 in this car. It worked well and netted me 462rwhp 459rwtq on a conservative Mustang dyno. That was on a stock motor except for intake manifold. The thing I didn't like about it was the noise. Talk about loud. The blower whine at idle was cool, and went away under boost, but the exhaust note was harsh and when I was on the gas hard the car sounded like it had open headers. I was using 3" full exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers. I may still have to change the mufflers, but with turbo's I have been told that your exhaust note can be muffled up to 30% just with the turbo alone. The other great thing about turbo's is adjustability. With a boost controller I can lower and raise the boost on the fly with just the push of a button. Oh, and no belt slip.
    Here's a video of my car on the dyno with the charger.
    [​IMG]

9. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

To answer some questions... The welds are TIG welds, the tubing is schedule 10 stainless steel. Don't use a tubing bender, the bends are not consistent and the steel gets weak when bent in that fashion. The other thing is that the weight of the turbo ends up hanging on the pipes, so you want it to be very strong. Under load for longer bursts, say a dyno run or drag race, the pipes get red hot. If you use thin wall pipe it will bend, and welds will fail. The shop where I am building my car does a lot of work on turbocharged Volkswagen/audi, and those fancy looking equal length bag 'o snakes headers are constantly cracking and being repaired.

10. outlawz28

outlawz28 Member

looks good, why did you use manifolds? i would have got some block hugger headers and turned them upside down, just mho, but that is going to be a sweet ride for sure