Twin Turbo LS2

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by mwhizard, Mar 2, 2011.

1. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

I guess time will tell... It was the biggest Fan I could get. 16", 3650 CFM. If it's not enough I guess I'll have to build a new shroud. At least it was one of the easiest things to make on the car!

2. camcojb

camcojb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

hopefully it works for you. My experience, a single 16" fan isn't good enough for even a mild small block, at least if you want it to keep temps below 190 degrees in hot weather and with a/c in traffic. My first choice and the only single fan that's always worked for me is the Lincoln Mark VIII.

Love the project. Fun fitting 10 pounds of crap in a five pound box, huh??!!!!!! ;)

3. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

When you look at the "finished project" it looks pretty straight forward...Truth is there are HUNDREDS of hours just in planning, visualizing where all the components are and have to be, and connecting the dots so to speak... I guess if it was easy we'd all drive one...
    Working on the tuning now, spent 3 hours creating a 2.5 bar VE table this morning. Running now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Any updates?

5. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

Ah, so many... I've been meaning to take some good pics and write all about it but the tuning has been sucking the life out of me. My OS is kinda weird, it's right between LS1 single VE table type and the newer no VE coefficients type, so it's been a real learning experience getting the bugs worked out. Been taking baby steps on the boost, started with a 6 psi spring, then 9 psi, tonight I installed an electronic boost controller and ran it up to 12 psi. Got knock retard for the first time. Second gear is useless, well, not really useless, it's great for painting black stripes from roll on...:crazy: Third gear can be tricky, either goes great or breaks loose, depends on road conditions. I have my boost controller set up fairly aggressively though... anyway, back to the tuning...

6. Turbo70Camaro

Keep at it guy and figure out how to bring in the boost VERY progressively VERY. Play with the timing a bit seems like its knocking way to early for only 12# of boost.

7. Powers76

Powers76 Veteran Member

Wow this is a very exciting build. I can only imagine the hours of work and planning that went into this.

8. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

When looking at the timing it seemed quite low for stock so I left it as is. I have since reduced it to 15* in the upper ranges. (from 18-19). I've almost got the VE table locked in in the non-boost area so that's good news. When it goes into boost it gets rich on the Boost enrich multiplier so I will need to adjust that. I'm not sure exactly what to do with my tables after 105kpa. Either continue the slope as below 105kpa or flat line it and let the Boost enrich take over? Either way it's goes rich to about 10.5 or so afr when in boost, I need to lean it out a full point or so so I can either drop the VE table or lower the enrichment. Problem is that as I understand it the computer takes the richer of the two enrichments, (PE or BE), and I don't want to change the PE and at present it's the same as my BE (1.25) I'll figure it out. It seems there are multiple ways to arrive at the same conclusion.

9. Turbo70Camaro

Question, how are you tuning the car. Are you on a dyno or are you "live" tuning it meaning is somebody driving your car and your tuning away in the passenger seat ?.

From what I have learned watching my tuning buddies they like to live tune cars in every gear with part throttle, mid and wot. Dial in the idle and even with all these electronics they still like to make a strong pull in high gear kill the car and read the plugs on the side of the road :crazy: . From what I have seen the cars are almost perfect with this method and the only time they take it to the dyno is when they are trying for max effort with higher octane fuels or getting ready for the drags with an aggressive tune.

10. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

All by myself on this one, on the road. Started with lots of logging without going into boost, trying to do some logs light throttle, some a bit more etc.. etc... I've got my short term trims to within +/- 2% most are averaging at 0 to 1%. I'm really pleased with how it cruises. Very smooth. The high boost stuff will have to see the dyno, I just cant monitor the scanner and drive under those conditions. For how hard this has been it sure is rewarding to have things starting to gel. Here's a short video. First time I've had my wife in the car for a boosted run. 9psi. She thought we were going for ice cream... I'm sure there's a nice Ice cream shop in this Industrial area somewhere honey....:confused:

[​IMG]