Twin Turbo LS2

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by mwhizard, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You've got skillz with a TIG! :cool:
    The welds look fantastic and the layout looks like a very workable plan!

I noticed you mentioned the turbo is hanging from the pipe.
    I don't distrust your welds or material selection (you know your stuff there) but I have to wonder about the 2-bolt flange at the manifold....

I can see the potential of vibration/harmonics stressing that flange to the limit.
    The intake side of the turbo will be dampened somewhat by the tube to the intercooler but it won't be a load bearing joint... Right?

Is there any way of adding a brace from the intake side of the turbo back to the front of the head?

It could relieve much of the stress on the pipe and 2-bolt flange while dampening any harmonics of this mass hanging forward of the manifold.
    It would be a safety catch too.

Maybe I'm worried about absolutely nothing... But I would feel safer about having something helping to support the weight besides the manifold.

2. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

I will be supporting the turbo's for sure. I will build a brace from the head to to the turbo.

3. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

WOW!!!! That's impressive as hell. I don't have those types of skills yet for sure. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this as it progresses.

4. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

Dang, that is awesome....me likey, someday....

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gotta love the whine!!!! Currently my PONCHO 400 has 458 hp and 630 ft/lbs torque...but that is pretty stockish. I know to add some squeeze I'ld have to drop the comp down from 10:1.....to say 7.6 ish with 12 lbs boost. I currently have a milidon gear drive.....WOW you talk about screamin!!!! Was the only way to dial in the Factory RAIV cam. I didn't realize the Prochargers were similar with the whine sound. Bummer....cause it does make it a real chore trying to here/listen/find any noise under the hood and hard to SNEAK-UP on anybody. The only problem i have with the turbo's are the realestate....like....you near about need a 72 monte-carlo front end to put all the stuff :(

6. Twisted_Metal

I should have known you thought of that. ;)

7. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

-Fbird, The newer prochargers have helical cut gears in them so they are much quieter than the old unit I had (straight cut gears). With intercooling and a proper tune you can put about 7 to 9 psi of boost on a stock LS motor, and they are running 10 to 11:1 CR. The space for turbo's is definately a challenge!

8. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

I got the other side done today... YAY!!! I ran into an issue with my pipe though. Trying to find schedule 10, 2.5" stainless steel straight pipe was tough. Especially when you only need 6 inches of it. So tough that no one had it. One guy could get it, but I would have to buy a 20 foot length and he would still have to order it. Solution? Bought 6 inches of schedule 40, 2.5" pipe and spent a good hour on the lathe boring it out. Problem solved.
    Pipe in lathe
    [​IMG]
    Drivers side pipe before final welding
    [​IMG]
    All mocked up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The stands I made to hold the turbo's in place while building pipe
    [​IMG]

9. Twisted_Metal

I didn't notice in the previous pics..... It's all tucked under a stock hood! :cool: :cool: :cool:

10. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

Yes, sleeper? not really....