Twin Turbo LS2

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by mwhizard, Mar 2, 2011.

1. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

Thanks for the compliment, and cheers from a local 82 brother.

-you should see my rail jobs!

2. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

Hot side complete!!!
    I finished the hot side of the turbo setup today. I needed some 1.75" flex pipes for the waste gate dump tubes. Vibrant makes them but there were none available locally, and they retail here at $58ea + $10 shipping. So, I thought, Hmmmm, I wonder whats inside those normal flex joints that are wrapped in braided stainless? I figured I could risk the $17ea, and at least cut one up and see. As soon as it arrived I looked inside it and it looked very similar to the Vibrant piece. Checked it with a magnet tool and sure enough, not sticky (=stainless steel). So I cut it up. The clamp rings on these are just crimped on so using a cutoff wheel I carefully broke the tension ring. I didn't cut all the way through, just most, then using a big screwdriver not to pry but to twist between the cut lines, it just popped the remaining steel and the ring slid off easily. The stainless wrap. I slid the big screwdriver under the skin then cutting disked through the wrap being carefull not to go too deep. the wrap is held in palce with a few spot welds, so I cut the wire with cutters, then dressed them clean with a grinder / dremmel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's where the dump pipes re-enter the exhaust down pipes. I used a hole saw after tracing out where the pipes meet. Then fine tuned it with a carbide and a file.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All welded up
    [​IMG]
    Installed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  3. My73LT

My73LT Veteran Member

Awesome work. Great attention to detail.

Quick question, tho, and remember I'm new to turbos. Why did you run the wastegate tube that far ? It looks like you could have made it a lot shorter.

4. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

"They" say that you should return the dump pipes downstream to improve flow. This is for the down pipe flow, not the dump pipe flow. In stock applications the wastegates can be internal, in which the dump is straight into the downpipe, but I guess in higher HP applications that isn't the best way to do it. I could have hooked the dump pipe straight in within only a few inches but there would have been nowhere for my flex pipe, plus the heat near my hood would have been bad.
    Also although these pictures don't show it, when the suspension goes through its full stroke, it gets close to the pipes, so where the flex joint is is where there is the most room.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  5. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

You didnt want to leave the dumps open for the noise factor or ?. I know most of the high horsepower Porsche guys leave the gate dumps open and I may do the same on my car.

By the way looks great and you move fast, wish I was as talented to finish as quick as you. I have to rely on a fabricator for the hotside but I did the cold side on my own :cool:

6. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

Dumps to atmosphere would have been much easier to make, that's for sure, but they just sound awful. It's like having open headers from time to time... Not for me. I think the blow off valve will be noisy enough. Like a big rig when they reach full air tank pressure, only every shift.

7. luv2drift

luv2drift Member

well an open waste gate would sound pretty bad. but blow off valves sound frigin awesome. it dosen't sound anything like a big rig hitting the breaks.

the car in this video has a twin turbo LS1 similar to this camaro. the whistling sound you here is the blow off valve.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdECAZjrvLE

8. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

That does sound good! I guess I didn't describe that very well. I hope I can live up to that clip.;)

9. luv2drift

luv2drift Member

from watching your build i have a feeling yours is gonna be even more intense. lol. this thing is gonna be a monster. keep it up man! oh, i was wondering are you gonna have a programable ECU?

10. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

I am using HP Tuners with a 3bar speed density tune. Hopefully that works out okay. Been reading Dan Maslic's Master EFI Tuner, hope to have read it cover to cover a few times by the time it's time for me to tune.