Twin Turbo Tall Deck

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Rustbucket350, Dec 22, 2018.

1. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I have an old AFB that does not have a spot for the secondary air valve.
    It is a very small AFB.
    Keep us posted on how it turns out I am curious.

2. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

I've been gone for awhile. Got sidetracked working on a 70s ford. I was going to post some lame pictures of my status on this build but instead I went out to the garage and made a video.

dave@ztech likes this.
  3. Rustbucket350

Butt dyno says it makes 9000 hp. Time to pipe the turbos in and see what the et has to say at the track. Those baby turbos do spool almost immediately though which could be good and bad.

dave@ztech likes this.
  4. $ Mike 70 Z-28

$ Mike 70 Z-28 Veteran Member

GREAT!!! the video awesome sounds good too A+A+ LOL

5. Rustbucket350

The Carter carb turned out to be a bust. I did all the blow through mods to it including drilling the base plate for air sealing the throttle shafts and making my own nitrophyl floats. When I bolted it back together I sat there looking at it and I said to myself, do I really trust this to feed my fuel needs? I've seen them work in like 1 or 2 youtube videos, but I just can't bring myself to try it when I bolt it on a motor that I've already put in the vehicle. The amount of effort alone involved really makes me not want to cheap out on a carb. Thank you Summit for having Proform Holley(ish?) carbs at like a sort of reasonable price. I'm going to use their mechanical secondary one as a blow through instead because it looks so much easier and way better. I don't even like edelbrock to begin with and I definitely don't like the carter I have with the air valves and no secondary accelerator pump.

Its really almost a shame to pull this motor and put a 366 in its place
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  6. Rustbucket350

That motor should have made like 450-500 hp. I was going to toss a 200 shot on it but it ate 3 camshafts and cost me like 6 grand to rebuild it twice. I have about $900 in the 366 (with the turbos) and if it won't get out of the hole quick enough, well, I'll still nitrous it. Unfortunately a tall deck is going to take up like the entire engine bay so the G braces are going to have to go or I'll have to make new ones. I really liked the Pro Touring F Body ones too. I don't even know if they're still in business but they work really well. The stock brake booster will have to go too. To top it all off, ebay is sold out of the up and forward turbo headers that would actually fit so I guess I'll have to buy some shorties and turn them upside down. Oh well. I'm ready to make like 600 hp and 900 lb ft so I ordered some drag radials, a torque converter, SFI flexplate, and started pulling the old motor.

camaro71/holland, Peck and dave@ztech like this.
  7. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I should put a twin turbo setup on my peanut port 461, that outta make 800hp easy.

Rustbucket350 likes this.
  8. $ Mike 70 Z-28

$ Mike 70 Z-28 Veteran Member

its a good choice those proform holleys i got one it was on the money out of the box. very well made for the money

Peck likes this.
  9. Peck

Peck Veteran Member

I run a proform 750 on my sbc it is a great carb, we also run a proform 950 on my Dad’s 455 Skylark. Both carbs were very close out of the box.

$ Mike 70 Z-28 likes this.
  10. Rustbucket350

That's good news to hear. I've been looking at them for awhile and all the reviews seem pretty good on them. Doesn't look like much effort at all to convert it to a blow through.