Type II Power Steering Pump

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Rayden2009, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Rayden2009

Rayden2009 Veteran Member Gold Member

I just replaced my saginaw tear drop power steering pump with a Type II pump from Turn One. Wow, what a difference. My old pump was from Lee Power steering, and it struggled to turn the wheels at a stop with the engine at idle. I have a Lee box, 245's in the front and just added a Lee inline filter. I would not have done this except my old power steering pump had a relief issue and was leaking (only 2 summers of driving...). I bit the bullet and called Turn One. I am planing on adding Hydroboost and a cooler, so they increased the pressure the pump could produce. Since the install, i've only driven it once, but i'm very impressed. Noticeable improvement over the teardrop pump, and mine was from Lee, not original. You can get a type II box a hell of a lot cheaper then the route I went, but only the best for my car....
    Here are some pics. I learned a bit from this experience, and when I add the cooler and Hydroboost I think I can clean the hoses up a bit. I had to use 10 washers per bolt to move the bracket forward to match the long water pump pulleys. Most manufactures only make brackets for short water pumps, which makes no sense to me.
    Here are some pics:
    fullsizeoutput_21b3.jpeg fullsizeoutput_21ab.jpeg
    Redneck bracket extension from short to long water pump:
    fullsizeoutput_21b1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_21af.jpeg fullsizeoutput_21ad.jpeg
    I hope that Lee inline filter is worth the trouble. I like that I have increased my fluid capacity, thus diluting contaminants. I hear they are overkill but what the heck. The cooler will eventually go in front of the rad, but I will need to take the nose off the car which i'm not ready to do yet. I filled it up with Amsoil power steering fluid. My neighbour happens to be an Amsoil dealer, so I support him, plus its up there with the best fluids.

Type II PS pump is the way to go if you have the funds. Half the weight, half the HP consumption, less heat generated and more consistent feel from stop to full speed, plus it looks sleeker. I Highly recommend it.

John Wright likes this.
  2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice!! I have been looking at these pumps as well, having trouble getting the answers for them regarding what will fit my setup, I am switching to the old serpentine system for 88-95 GM vehicles , so, had to find AC delete, easy, reverse rotation water pump, easy, reverse clutch and fan, easy, pump??? not so much, none want to commit , that it will fit, I have to wonder about the increase in pressure, I thought?? that higher then needed pressure would screw up the steering gear, and I have a 670? gear from DSE that I want to have it last a minute, advantage, is it is already set up with the metric fittings, so the lines will be easier, HAA HA

3. Rayden2009

I asked Turn One if the increase in pressure will hurt anything since I don't currently have hydroboost. They told me not to worry, the pump only puts out what is required so it wont put out 1800 psi unless I am steering and braking with hydroboost at the same time. Hope they are correct. I know the new hydroboost plumbing will have the hydroboost right after the pump, followed by the steering box in series so I would assume the steering box will never see the higher pressures.
    Call up Turn One. Maybe they can help you. They seem to know their stuff

dave@ztech likes this.
  4. dave@ztech

I will, and what Hydro boost, the CCP one, looks like a nice unit, and seems like a good price.

5. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

What fitting did you use on plastic return tab from the reservoir?

6. Rayden2009

7. Rayden2009

I ordered the pump with a AN-6 return fitting right from Turn One

8. dave@ztech

9. UMI Tech

UMI Tech Member NazstyZ28 Sponsor

t1.jpg

We use the Turn One pump in our car with their 8:1 gear for autocross. Feels awesome and works trouble free.

10. Rayden2009

Thought I would post an update after driving the car a bit. Still really happy with the pump. Seems to have smoother and more consistent feedback at all speeds then before. It does require a little bit more effort, which I like. I checked it lock to lock at idle, and it did groan a bit, but the engine rpm did not drop at all. My old pumps groaned too but seemed to put a lot more load on an idling engine, and rpm would flutter.