u63 am push button radio speaker question

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by 71ss396, Jan 10, 2004.

1. 71ss396

71ss396 Member

if my 71 came with the u63 option, would it have came with only the front speaker ( in the middle) or would it have came with speakers in the back? I have the original type of speaker covers in there now but would like to return it to stock since i bought a new package tray and want to know if i have to cut holes or get the hidden hole ones. any ideas thanks

2. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

I only have an AM radio and I have a single speaker in the back along with the one in the middle of the dash. U63, at least in the 70 Assembly Manual, covered both AM and AM-FM and doesn't show a rear speaker. U80 was a separate option for the rear speaker.
    However, you did help me in clearing up a mystery. I had a capacitor that was connected to the coil and I couldn't figure out what it was. I even posted a question here at one time and although there were guesses, no one was sure.
    It turns out it is part of the U63 option. The manual also shows a capacitor at the blower motor and I know I never had that from day one.

[This message has been edited by gin man (edited January 10, 2004).]

3. ACF

ACF Member

I think I can answer your question. The standard AM (U63)or AM/FM (U69) came with one front speaker. If the car was ordered with either of these radios AND the U80 rear speaker option, you got one rear speaker. You can tell (if you have the original radio that came with the car) by looking at the right side radio knob, it should have wires that run from the knob to the back of the radio where it plugs into the speaker wiring. This is the fader part of the system that is used to adjust the front and rear speaker balance. The later Camaro radios have this fader built into the right side radio shaft(no external wires on the knob)I hope this helps answer your question.

[This message has been edited by ACF (edited January 10, 2004).]

4. 71ss396

71ss396 Member

thanks for the reply that helps me a lot. I dont have the radio, so its good to know about the wires on the right knob. Would anyone know what other vehicles these radios came in? or where i could find a working one? any help appreciated thanks