UMI's Newest Test Vehicle- 1971 Camaro, Pro-touring Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by UMI Performance, Jan 12, 2017.

1. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    One hell of a build!!

2. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Bitch'n :bowtie:

3. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
  4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sam Strano is driving it at the CAM challenge this weekend if I'm not mistaken

BonzoHansen likes this.
  5. UMI Tech

UMI Tech Member NazstyZ28 Sponsor

You are correct Lowend. We had Sam and our car chief Roger (Sam's protege' at the moment) at CAM Challenge. We unfortunately had a clutch problem and couldn't make the start. Turns out it was just bad timing as we had given a hundred laps of rides two weeks earlier...

The car has been working well, as it went 165 at Optima Daytona on the highbanks and won Drive USCA auto-x a week prior.

The latest round of upgrades is to the body, with Anvil Auto carbon and Trackspec vent pieces. We are also working on the graphics to make the hood stripes match. We ran out of time before it pulled out last week.

We are currently on UMI steel leafs (same leafs that come in our street packages) as we found the Watts Link and composite leafs were in a little bit of conflict with each other. The steel leafs and a light sway bar are proving pretty excellent.

t1.jpg IMG_2272.jpg IMG_2240.jpg IMG_2217.jpg Strano.jpg IMG_2089.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Dichard

Dichard Veteran Member

Why hasn’t anyone fromUMI posted a reply to my questions, I asked these about 2 weeks ago. Come on guys what’s up here

7. UMI Tech

We have rod end arms on a few hundred cars with no complaints. Rod ends down low on lower a-arms or trailing arms tend to get noisy. Since upper arms are just a pivot, and not as "load bearing" they seem fine.

The lower plate is 1/8" cut on our laser. The holes are in there for plug welds. This was an in-house thing and isn't intended for production.

ramey

8. Dichard

Dichard Veteran Member

I appreciate the reply Ramey,
    I understand about the lower, I was curious about the uppers, working in the aviation industry I see many heim ends and how long they last on aircraft, but my knowledge base is somewhat limited on the application in the automotive industry. Again, I appreciate the response. I like what UMI is doing. Keep up the great work.

9. UMI Tech

I think in a long term test, the non-adjustable Delrin uppers would last longer and stay quieter longer. The good thing is, we have Chevelle uppers going on six years with "discriminating" customers who don't need rod ends replaced.

We also run this style upper on our A, G and this F-body and the rod ends don't exhibit wear after seasons of abuse. Our LeMans just turned 1800 (brutal) track miles on the original set.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  10. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Do you have inner fenders? If not, what (if anything) was added for reinforcement/replacement?

hubedobeedo likes this.