Unusual VIN? 1970 Camaro SS

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by Ledfoot1965, May 24, 2019.

1. Ledfoot1965

Ledfoot1965 New Member

I will do that. I work 70 hours a week and it’s difficult for me to get much time for doing what I really want to do. Going to be a lot of searching and digging but I think it’s worth the effort. Appreciate y’all and the information you have supplied. I will continue to post details as they become available. Thanks

2. Kurt S

Kurt S New Member

Interesting article. But those are GM facilities making those cars, VINs per standards. And they did that for utilitarian models, not Camaros. :)
    GM wanted to do that with older Buick models to China, but China insisted on having the current versions with better emissions and safety.

3. Kurt S

Kurt S New Member

4. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Actually knock down kit cars didn't always have all the parts that an American built Camaro has. Sometimes parts were sourced locally,some such things could be as minor as wheels and tires or as major as engines and transmissions. They did it to avoid tariffs and taxes.

5. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Actually the car was built in the US and shipped to another country in pieces. It was assembled locally and is a 1970 Camaro. GM did it to avoid taxes and tariffs. Sometimes parts were sourced locally such as tires and even engines from a car brand that is made in that country.

The trim tag says body by Fisher so the body was made in the US. It looks to be a standard US car that was just shipped to venazula in boxes.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  6. Kurt S

Kurt S New Member

This is wrong. CKD vehicles were not assembled in the US plants. Assembling them in the US would incur the import taxes and tariffs. Many foreign assembled cars used used the standard GM trim tag. Note the compliance statement is lacking.

All of the drivetrain components for the foreign Camaros were sourced from the US. Local content was normally commodity products like glass and tires. Discussed in my article.
    All this has been confirmed by GM employees AND by some of the foreign assemblers.

Ledfoot1965 and dave@ztech like this.
  7. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just seen this discussion... Very interesting and unique car! Learn something new everyday on these cars

8. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

this car is currently on ebay
    1973 Chevrolet Camaro CLEAN TITLE/A/C, CD player, Power Steering, Brakes
    1973 Chevrolet Camaro CLEAN TITLE/A/C, CD player, Power Steering, Brakes 97238 M not a LA OR NO CAR SELLER SAYS IT IS A RS I TURNED HIM IN TO EBAY SAYING NO !

Ledfoot1965 likes this.
  9. hubedobeedo

CALL IT WHAT IT IS NO BS!

10. hubedobeedo

EVEN SAYS IT HAS URETHANE NOSE ,BLIND PERSON WOULD BS ON THAT . BUYER BEWARE. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A RIDE DO YOUR RESEARCH!