Upgraded 882 heads

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by joel.hunter, Sep 26, 2016.

1. joel.hunter

joel.hunter Veteran Member

In a couple weeks I should have my 350 together with 882 heads that have been ported (don't know exactly how much but nothing crazy) milled to 67cc with good comp springs and screw-in studs, comp XE268 cam, flat tops (4 valve relief), 600cfm 4bbl and 1-5/8ths headers that are on there now, through a 2.5" true dual exhaust. Mostly to satisfy my curiosity, what kind of power do some of you engine wizards think it might make? I know the 882s are still smoggers at the end of the day but they shouldn't be terrible with the work done to them.

2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Likely in the 325 hp range.

3. GoldenOne7710

Forgot to ask about piston/bore specs and compression numbers. You got anything on that?

4. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

How much did they take off the heads to get them down to 67cc?

5. Mike-78 Z-28

Mike-78 Z-28 Veteran Member

I ran practically that same combo but using a first design HE 268.With 3.42 gears ,stock stall and radials it would run 14.0's in my 78.

6. Z28-79

Z28-79 Veteran Member

I have the same set up except with stock 624 heads, how much if I were to use 062 vortec heads?

7. GoldenOne7710

If your 624 heads are bone stock, then a set of mildly worked over Vortecs would be a nice upgrade. You'd definitely feel it. Vortec heads (without any bowl/port work) and a 268 cam just seem to be a well rounded combo for torque. They run especially well in a 1/2 ton pickup.

8. Z28-79

Z28-79 Veteran Member

Cool,right now it doesn't feel like it has hardly any torque, thanks for the reply.

9. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Vortecs aren't just about flow (although they likely still outflow mildly ported 882). It's also the mixture motion and chamber efficiency that get them their reputation for making good power on mild combos.

Agreed with above, 325HP (crank) is probably about where you will net out.

Vortecs (with matching Vortec intake) would likely add quite a bit more. If I said exactly how much more I actually thought, people would be calling me out for internet exaggeration so I'm not going to put a number on it. But it's a number big enough you definitely wouldn't need a dyno to feel it.

I built plenty of mild performance 350s with 882 heads over the years and getting them to run low 14s was no problem. Getting them to run low 13s was definitely a different ask.

10. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Damon... Are you thinking around 50-60 HP (crank) gain over the 882? That's what I have seen many times with combos like the OPs and that swap from a smogger head to a vortec