UPS advice/education?

Discussion in 'NastyZ28 Gamers & Computer Gurus' started by Knuckle Dragger, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

My power company sucks balls lately. There is a lot of new houses going up and I think he system is taxed. Add in they are moving all the utilities for road improvements and I have a power outage at least once a week. My biggest issue besides loosing the A/C is the sudden shut down on my computer and that all my stuff is internet dependent. Both my home phone line and my cell. There is no Verizon coverage out here so we use a extender here at the house.

I'm pretty much clueless on the UPS setups. I read some stuff on the internet about them and I was looking at this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...938817.p?skuId=3938817#tabbed-customerreviews

What I would like is time to shut my computer off and have it power the modem, router, Ooma and cell extender for a couple of hours if possible. Would this be over kill, not enough or just right?

2. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

I wish I could show you the UPS at my work. Its huge and we have 24 of them and they all have 540vdc battery systems. Have you thought about solar? It may be in the future for my home. Other than that, I can't really help you much but good luck and let me know what you come up with.

3. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hours? Don't think so. 1500va could probably handle a half hour with that load.

The UPS will automatically shut down your computer, removing that load. I would put the modem and router on it as well, as you do not need them without the computer. If you want them up for your mobile phone, then I would get an individual one for them.

I would buy an individual one for the Ooma and another for the extender. That should cover your scenario. I would suspect this setup would protect your devices and give you 2+ hours of operation.

4. FlaJunkie

Oh, and a whole house surge suppressor in your main fusebox is a must.

5. FlaJunkie

I also have a UPS on my expensive TV.

6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I use laptops and they have a battery backup built in. I do have a desk top, an old one from around 1999 or so, but it's in storage as nothing I run will work on it.

7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

All good tips so far. Sustaining the power for hours will get expensive. I wonder when the power goes out if the internet is down if your modem has power?
    I did read about a guy that hacked a good size APC UPS to use several deep cycle marine batteries he put in his garage. It held power for like a day or so.

8. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

You could put something together with a battery charger, inverter and probably 4 golf cart batteries. Just run all those items off the inverter all the time. If power goes out, only the battery charger goes offline.

9. FlaJunkie

And if you decide to do this, you could store the power devices in a garage and drop an inverter line to your room with the electronics you want to keep online. Don't forget the whole house surge suppressor.

10. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I appreciate the suggestions, but that's way more than I want to invest in money or time. It looks like I had/have some unrealistic expectations for the UPS. I think we'll have to settle for being able to gracefully shut the computer off.