UPS advice/education?

Discussion in 'NastyZ28 Gamers & Computer Gurus' started by Knuckle Dragger, Jul 28, 2018.

1. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

You might be surprised how inexpensive it could be. You could also maybe build your own small powerwall out of some 18650 batteries. You wouldn't need a huge inverter or super expensive batteries like Trojans.

2. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

I thought you meant United Parcel Service.....I ran distribution centers for major retailers, wholesalers and manufacturers. Oh well........:D

3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Don't feel bad. I had a conversation with someone here and they told me to get a UPS. I had to ask, What is a UPS. Now I know. LOL

4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hours? You need this-

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

:) You might consider spending a bit more and getting a pure sine wave UPS. Like- https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500PFCLCD-Sinewave-Outlets-Mini-Tower/dp/B00429N192/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533077187&sr=8-3&keywords=pure+sine+wave+ups&th=1
    Very similar to the one you linked, I think, which lists PWM simulated sine wave- which is close, but this should be smoother. The power supplies in your stuff will be happier.

https://superuser.com/questions/912679/when-do-i-need-a-pure-sine-wave-ups

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah but I'd have to give him a deposit and wait 6 years hoping he's actually build it. :)

6. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well, if you're like me, it'll take you that long to save up the money to pay for it anyway. So he's helping us out, really.:D

7. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

My power has been known to go out without any good reason as well. All of our homes have sump pumps that we rely on to keep the basements dry. Years past i have seen a few neighbors basements destroyed by water when the power got knocked out during a storm that included lots of rain. It was touched on earlier, and maybe its beyond what you want to do, but i have an inverter and a deep cycle battery in my basement that the sump pump is hooked up to. I also have the whole generator hook up, but i have to be there to make all that run, so the inverter gives me hours of sump pump use, so i dont have to run home immediately when the power goes out. I dont know what the draw is like on a router, but i cant imagine its huge. I have fios so there is a box in my basement, that has to run for my internet to work, it has a battery but might only be good for a few hrs. I have ditched desktop computers for laptops, so the battery in a laptop should be good for an hour or two. In a pinch, i could actually run my gas boiler for days on the inverter.

Like anything else, there are cheap inverters, and good inverters. I like Tripp-lite inverters. the one i have is an inverter with a built in battery charger, and has an auto transfer switch. Need to be careful what kind of battery you use if you plan on having it in your house, being charged. i think sealed batteries only for that.