Using a Serpentine belt system off a third Gen Camaro?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by crazypurgatory, Mar 26, 2018.

1. crazypurgatory

crazypurgatory Veteran Member

I've decided to use a Serpentine belt system off a third Gen Camaro for my 71 Camaro because it's going to work with my weiand 144 supercharger and it puts the a/c compressor on the passenger side where I can run the as lines nice and neat.
    The supercharger came off a third Gen Camaro with the Serpentine belt system so I know there is no problem there.
    My question is what water pump do I need to use with this set up?
    I have a nice milodon short water pump PN#16301 I was going to use before I decided to get the super charger and go with the Serpentine belt system.
    Will that pump work or do I need to get a new water pump?
    If so what water pump will work I would like to get an aluminum.
    Thanks,

2. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

I will be keeping an eye on this thread because I am doing the same thing except for the 144. But I think you have to use a reverse rotation pump.

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's a clockwise rotation pump, you need a counter-clockwise or reverse rotation. Just don't confuse it with the reverse flow pump which was used on late LS1 engines. I'm installing a GM serpentine setup that I bought from someone who ordered it with a GM 383 engine, and decided to go LS. It came with a water pump but I also decided to go aluminum and ordered one from Skip White. It looks great and bolted up just fine but when I tried to install the AC bracket, it wouldn't fit. I wound up clearencing quite a bit of material off the pump for the bracket to fit. Hopefully, l won't have the same issue with Alt & PS brackets. You may have better luck.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

If it fits a 91 iroc it's what you want. I run a Stewart stage 2. I think a 23123. long pump, counter clockwise rotation

Your short pump will not work

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used the stock 89 TPI waterpump and it worked with all of the 89 serpentine system.

[​IMG]

6. Desert_Dick72SS

Desert_Dick72SS Veteran Member

If it's like the serpentine setup on my '92 Camaro, It'll require reverse rotation, long pump. I'm also using the Stewart 23123 Aluminum Stage 2 pump.
    Be sure and get the hi flow thermostat with it...

-Rich

7. CorkyE

Well, here's the difference in buying a $150 Stewart pump and a $50 Skip White pump. The Stewart, along with others is designed to work with the serpentine system, no problem. While the Skip White pump is reverse rotation, it's cast with bosses and tapped to fit the older v-belt brackets also. These bosses interfere with the serpentine brackets on both sides, and if you want to use that pump, you'll do a bunch of grinding. I would just imagine it's done this way so they can use one casting, just change the impeller, and have c/ccw rotating pumps.

I've found that flap disc do a great job on aluminum and doesn't clog up. Just take it outside because you'll have aluminum specks everywhere - don't ask how I know.

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I ran a stock $20 parts store reman iroc pump for 10 years w/o issue if your not running a hot engine. my Stewart is probably overkill

I used one of theirs with the holes and had issues with the engine not warming up. I went to a standard high flow Robert shaw design (same one but no holes drilled) and problem solved

9. crazypurgatory

crazypurgatory Veteran Member

Thanks everybody. I knew there was something with the water pump and the rotation but I could not remember what it was. :screwup:
    So I would need to get the reverse rotation water pump off a third gen Camaro or the Stewart pump you recommended.
    I am going to be using the weiand 144 supercharger so it would be extra insurance to use a High-Volume pump and a high flow thermostat.
    I know I have to get the Camaro alternator do I also have to run the third gen Camaro Power steering pump as well?

10. CorkyE

If you don't want an aluminum one, you can get those pumps from any auto parts store.