value of single cylinder heads.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by jroach, Aug 12, 2018.

1. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

THESE are Dart Vortec replacement heads. Not a true Vortec head, they do take a Vortec intake. They're $700 a pair assembled.

Flow #'s int/eht
    .200" 126/108
    .300" 185/128
    .400" 221/136
    .500" 232/138

Not bad for a new set of heads for $700 on a mild build. Blow the dust of them, they'll be a little better.

NYH1.

2. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

3. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

camaro71/Holland, yes good catch. My dyslexia at it's finest!

NYH1.

4. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

my 8 matched sets of heads that im not using include two pairs of gm vortec heads so i will go that route when i build my 383. i am currently living with my parents again to save for a house. so im not building anything right now. just figuring out if some of my junk that i dont want is worth the hassle of trying to sell to help the cause.

jeff swisher likes this.
  5. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Good man save that money .. the house will be a good investment.
    I got my first one when I was 22. Sounds like you have it figured out.

6. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

A little advice on buying a house. We've bought two. Buy one with room to expand. Being able to build a nice addition, garage or pole barn (just built a 30'x40' pole barn, should've went bigger) down the road without your neighbors two cents is priceless....neighbors SUCK unless they're a 1/4 mile down the road!

Good luck, NYH1.

NYH1.

7. jeff swisher

Nice if you can expand.. but sometimes just getting out on your own even if you have neighbors is a blessing.
    My first house was $22,500 I lived there on almost an acre for 9 years and really saved my money since payments were very low.
    Paid it off really quick and sold it for $56,000 I might have invested 5,000 into it the entire time I lived there. Some windows and insulation and central heat and air in the shop and home.
    I have purchased 7 houses and one on 80 acres since then.
    Made money on every one of them, kept a couple for rentals.

Thing is I do not fix things that aren't broke.
    So what if the counters and showers are from 1974.. they work and aren't busted ..
    I have better things to spend my money on . New fixtures and toilets and all new 1/4 turn shutoff valves on everything.

My younger son screwed the pooch and got a home for 90K and started tearing it apart.. 5 years later many things are still torn apart. If he was smart he would have left that stuff alone and just lived there and saved his money.
    Nothing was broke.
    Yea I am married and yes the wife wanted something besides the 1974 counter tops..Guess what we still have the original counter tops.. she got over it.

Peck likes this.
  8. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

Hard to a argue with that. Except maybe the neighbors part. We really just don't like to be bothered. We have a few that are ok, they're welcome. The rest our German Shepherds keep away....man they're good boys! We're out in the sticks so it's not like they just walk by.

As far as upgrades, we do them as needed or even when wanted. However, we do them with cash.

NYH1.

jeff swisher likes this.
  9. Peck

Peck Veteran Member

I wish houses were $22,500 still. A run down small house on .06 acre sells for 200k+ up here in my area.

10. jeff swisher

Plenty around here but the neighborhood is not usually great.
    My buddy got one house for a 12 pack across the street from his house.
    He rents it out for 500 a month. That is the cheapest one I ever seen. I got one for 2000 bucks once. sold it for 4000.
    Best one that the wife decided the day I sold it that she liked it was 80 acres with 2500 Square foot custom home
    5 acres of grape vineyard a small wheat field a 40x60 shop with 6" floors with thickened footing ..semi trucks could park in it.
    Had a mobile home on it also where the guy built model airplanes. 100 yard shooting range out the back door with spinning steel targets.
    I went to buy guns and reloading stuff and bought the property. $150,000
    Wife said she likes current home better so I said FINE I will sell it cheap.
    2 days later I had a guys handshake for 160k and it was sold.

Came home from the sale at 10:30 Pm and wife and married older son were in the living room with big smiles and I told them I sold it.
    Big frowns.. wife decided she liked it and would move son into trailer and we live in the house.
    2 loafing sheds and huge chicken coop on property also.
    Yep she screwed up.
    She told me to call the guy back and tell him no sale that wife changed her mind.

I said I can't do that I told him he could have it and we shook on it.
    A mans word is all he has got.
    No comparable in the area for octagon home with steel structure and flagstone for siding.

A structural engineer owned the property and built the home and everything on it.. he had his own company and was dying and selling everything.
    Sad deal.