Vega converter????

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by andy736, Jan 23, 2010.

1. andy736

andy736 Veteran Member

I heard this from a oldtimer. He was telling me that back in the day when there wasn't much around for stall converters, or they were very expensive, guys would use vega converters, well at least with small blocks. Has anyone heard of this? We can get them at Autozone for a 72 vega with a three speed auto for 80 bucks. now it doesn't specify what " three speed" but I'm assuming its a TH350. I was wondering what you guys thought. I work part time at Autozone, so with my discount it'll be cheap. I figured if it'll bolt up and won't burn up my trans I'd like to try it. What do you think?

2. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Go ahead and do it. I wouldn't put it between 400hp and slicks, but for a mild engine and street tires, it'll work quite well. Should get the stall up a couple hundred from a stock converter.

3. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

"back in the day" it was common to use the 4 banger stall converter because it was slightly higher in stall speed. Now a days with all the aftermarket company's, it makes more sense to buy the stall speed your looking for rather then play games with the old vega converters

4. andy736

andy736 Veteran Member

Yeah i know. but for the price, plus I like to tinker with unusual parts.....just for the heck of it. I figure if it worked back then, it'll work now. I'm not building a all out drag car, just a more street than strip car.

5. bigdav160

bigdav160 Veteran Member

A converters "stall speed" is mostly determined by it's diameter (or radius).

The bigger it is the lower the stall speed. Vega converters were pretty small so they stalled at a higher RPM, especially with a bigger engine in front of them.

6. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

For a low powered project it could work fine. As mentioned a little over stock.
    It doesn't sound like you have much power, so you probably won't drive through.
    Just don't expect 3-4000.

7. andy736

andy736 Veteran Member

Yeah I figured. I don't have monster HP, around 350-400 at best. Will it bolt up to my Th350? I have a flex plate with both bolt patterns.

8. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I bought a Vega converter and put it behind a 283. Stall was over 3000. Lasted a few years then the stall went out of sight = flatened the impellers inside the converter. Not a bad investment unless you look at the ones Summit, Jegs, and PAW offer for a few dollars more.

9. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

All turbo converters fit 350's & 400's. I don't know if the had a odd ball bolt pattern.
    Maybe measure the flexplate & check before you order it.

10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I ran one for a year stalled at 4200 with my BB and I know why, They never lock up and slip all the time. My MPH was down 4 cpmpaired to a good brand conveter but go ahead and try it, Makes for good burnouts on the street.