Very fast idle

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by valleyguy, Apr 17, 2019.

1. valleyguy

valleyguy Member

So I finally got my 71 Camaro engine running, Yea! but it is revving way too high. Stock 350 engine with automatic trans. I did install better flowing heads and, just this week, a new Edelbrock 1406 carb with automatic choke. No other changes to the motor. I can't figure why it's idling so high; No vacuum leaks that I can tell; anyone have a clue?

Joe IMG_1583.JPG IMG_1582.JPG IMG_1581.JPG

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Your choke is on for one thing. When fully warmed up, loosen the choke screws and turn the dial so the choke plate is fully open then lock the screws down. If needed, turn down the idle screw as well.

3. Rascal

Rascal Veteran Member

How did you eliminate a possible vacuum leak? My recommendation would be to place a folded rag over the carburetor while the engine is running. ENSURE the rag is of at least double the size of the carburetor opening and folded a few times. An old towel works well for this test and is better than bare hand in case of backfire.

The engine should stall immediately, if so this should confirm no vacuum leak(s).

4. valleyguy

valleyguy Member

Thanks gents, well it wasn't a vacuum leak, it was the choke.