Very strange Coolant problem. Possible head gasket? Help...

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by corellianvette, Sep 6, 2011.

1. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Put the cap on right after you fill it up. Don't sit there and watch it throw the coolant back out. That's the normal ebb flow of the coolant in the system.

Every radiator I've ever filled would do that if you sat there long enough with the cap off and watched the coolant level in the radiator.

The system builds pressure as the coolant expands that's why you need a good cap or you will flow over into the overflow tank.

2. Pfrederiksen

Pfrederiksen Veteran Member

So, did your new cap come in or did you take it for a spin with your known good cap on yet?
    Did it fix the problem?
    I'm still going with bad cap.

P

3. corellianvette

corellianvette New Member

Thanks everyone. I've never seen a coolant system act like this.

I'm back at home on Friday. That's when I'll get a chance to test the car with the new cap and see if that's the problem. I'm probably going to replace the thermostat and remove the teflon from the sending unit while I'm at it, just to be safe...

I'll report back this weekend...

4. maxpsi

maxpsi Veteran Member

Sorry to dig this back up, but I'm seeing the same thing with my car. So, the general consensus is that this rising and falling is normal?

5. millpondmonster

millpondmonster Veteran Member

far enough out it takes 3 days to get a text messa
    It could be a bad thermostat. If it sticks then pops open it can cause a severe surge. Also a air lock can cause it also. You would have a hot spot and when it finally gets some coolant to it, it will heat the coolant rapidly and cause it to surge. If everything is working properly you should not have a large surge. Minor ebb and flow is normal. Just a couple of thoughts. :bowtie:

6. maxpsi

maxpsi Veteran Member

I know my thermostat works correctly. I removed the housing and saw that it was open in the warm coolant. I picked it up and watched it close back after cooling down. Could it be the water pump? What happens when the impeller breaks?

7. millpondmonster

millpondmonster Veteran Member

far enough out it takes 3 days to get a text messa
    If the impeller shaft broke you would have no coolant flow at all, and most likely the fan would have some wobble to it. The impeller could be slipping on the shaft though. If a blade or two broke off,you should be able to hear it. But the water pump shouldn't be causing a surge. Try putting your t-stat in a pan of water on the stove (with enough water to completly cover it), watch to see when it opens. It should open just before the water boils. Also it should open slowly, not pop open suddenly.

8. maxpsi

maxpsi Veteran Member

Tried it. It opens and closes slowly as mentioned. The lower radiator hose isn't getting hot though.

9. Skaal-tel 79

Skaal-tel 79 Veteran Member Gold Member

lower rad hose shouldn't get super hot. That's the cold output from the rad.

Jack up the nose of the car, fill the rad with coolant, run the engine to burp air out, refill, close the cap and away you go.

10. maxpsi

maxpsi Veteran Member