Vintage Air

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ATM, Feb 6, 2011.

1. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've been kicking around gathering up the stuff to put AC in the car for my build. I'm having a time of getting the stuff all gathered up. So I'm thinking of going the Vintage Air route.

I don't really like the big suitcase in the engine bay. I'm not looking forward to using the big suitcase in the passenger compartment.

So, if I am going to go this route, what exactly do I need to do with the current firewall holes? Can I close them up, and will I need any opened up? My plan is to continue getting the car mobile, some sort of engine in it, hopefully an LS3 or something like that, and then do the nice stuff like stereo and AC and all that as I can fund it.

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

http://www.vintageair.com/downloads.asp

scroll down on this page and you will see a link for 2nd gen camaro's. It is the PDF file that shows how to install the kit and everything that is included. There are two links, one for factory a/c cars and one for non factory a/c cars. I had a non factory a/c car, but put in a dash for factory air and ordered seperaately the parts I needed to do that. Otherwise they give you a center vent that goes above your console, right under the radio.

3. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The Vintage Air kit includes plates, etc. to plug up the holes you don't need. I did some additional things to my firewall, but you wouldn't have to. I am still "under construction" so I can't comment on how well it is going to work, but I am impressed in general with how compact and lightweight the VA stuff is, compared to factory. After I got mine I think I read that there is a sponsor on the forum for Classic Auto Air (I think). You might check them out as well.

4. ATM

Oh thanks, didn't see that. It comes with a firewall hole cover, So, could I just weld that in, and cut new holes later on if I need them?

5. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Classic Auto Air/Vintage Air firewall covers are plastic so if you want to weld the hole shut you're going to either have to fab your own cover or DSE makes a bolt on cover for factory a/c cars for $75. I know some of the Vintage Air dealers offer a loner program for mock up boxes where you pay a $50 deposit to use the case and they credit it back when you buy the system or you can buy the mock up box from VA for $59. This is a big help when trying to lay everything out under the dash and saves your actual evaporator unit from getting contaminated with dirt/dust.

6. ATM

That is definitely something nice to know. Thanks, that would be an enormous help. Especially since I am going to be looking to do this down the road a ways. At that rate though, maybe it would be worth it to just weld the holes shut and deal with it later, especially if all that is involved is cutting a couple of small holes for lines to go through. If I am seeing the pdf file correctly, EVERYTHING is under the dash, blower and all? Obviously not the compressor and stuff, but that is only hoses going outside?

7. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yep, the whole deal fits under the dash. It is very compact compared to OE.

There are two plates (and they are steel in my kit) that cover the large rectangular hole in the firewall and the round hole where the blower motor used to be. There is a plastic plug for one of the smaller holes also. They tell you to drill one new hole for the wires to go through, but you may not need it (can use one of the existing holes).

8. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

4 holes 2 a/c and 2 for heater hoses or you can buy a through bulkhead manifold and cut 1 hole and have the hoses removable seperately on both sides like pictured below in left side of the firewall.

[​IMG]

9. ATM

That is really the look I was hoping for. I think I'll just go ahead and weld up everything I can and deal with the AC later. For now though, that will also be no heat, which means no defrosters, but oh well. It isn't a big deal. Love that firewall look. The entire engine bay at that.

10. blackl78

blackl78 Veteran Member

I think its a perfect time to smooth your firewall like the pic above! Which is pretty easy. Cut yourself a template out of poster board or cardboard. When you have it just the way you want it, trace it on to a piece of sheet metal and weld it on. Im going to do mine this way.