Vintage Air

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ATM, Feb 6, 2011.

1. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

The piece for my car was metal as well.

2. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

There is no trick or special knowledge to installing a Classic Auto Air Perfect Fit AC / Heat / Defrost system.

General mechanical knowledge and the ability to read is about it.

It comes with decent pics and instructions.
    The bracketry lines up with existing mounting bolt holes already in the car.

Here is the Camaro Instructions
    http://www.classicautoair.com/manuals/1-1057Manual.pdf

3. blackl78

blackl78 Veteran Member

After reading everything here and all the research..... looks to me like the Vintage Air is what Im going with. Its the little things that matter! The glued vs bolted together case sounds like the only thing that the CAA kit has over VA...not enough to sway me. If repairs are needed (which looks slim to none) I dont want to mess with it anyway, I will send it back.

4. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Either way, I'm going to pull out all the cables from my existing selector and weld up the holes and worry about it later. It looks pretty forgiving.

5. Toy71Camaro

Toy71Camaro Veteran Member

ive been debating this as well lately, or trying to get someone to fix the factory air (which i know for one needs a new compressor, and obviously converted to new coolant)..

ugh. lol

6. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Which is really yet another part of me just starting over. Whatever I can gather up is still going to be 30+ years old, and the freon is still different. Why waste a bunch of time and money in getting that stuff going again?

7. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I like the idea of removing the A/C case from inside the engine compartment (which happens with VA or CAA) and the weight reduction. I can find all new parts to do an original style A/C system, but it's more clunky looking under the hood.

8. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

OH the T tops come off...thought you were telling the wife to take her top off!

I'm doing the Vintage Air in my '72 and I did have a few problems with what I got, so MAKE sure as soon as you get the kit you do a complete inventory. That means especially comparing the pic's to what you got, I got a line that didn't look like the one in the pic, I called and the missing/wrong parts were on their way no questions asked. I also found that when hooking up the 2 heater lines and the 2 a/c lines onto the evap box, if you don't put them on in a certain order you can end up with 3 lines in a row top to bottom and one off to the side vice 2 lines next to 2 lines. I swear to god I was scratching my head going "how the heck is that going to fit through the metal plate". Now I was pretty sure that a guy who could tear a helicopter down to parade rest and put it back together again (me) wasn't screwed up so I called the company and e-mailed them pics. They told me to put the lines on in a different order and I may have to "tweak" them a bit to get them through the hole in the cover plate. Well it worked, and a few days later I got four new lines in the mail, I guess they sent them just in case. I really can't say enough good stuff about their support. I also ordered the hoses/adapter to run the center vent out of the dash, I put a dash with a/c in my original non a/c car, it only cost me about $12 additional. ALso the heater lines don't have grommets where they go through the plate into the engine compartment. I had some rigid foam and made block to go around them then they go through the plate, then I took some weather strip kind of putty and formed it around the lines. With the foam backing it up it looks pretty well sealed.

9. Toy71Camaro

Toy71Camaro Veteran Member

Right.. Fortunately for me, i have all the original parts, but whether or not they work is a diff story. Its ALL still on my car (except for I yanked the compressor off since i knew the bearings were bad already. It had been bolted up, but never had a belt on it). So I personally dont have to "hunt down" all the parts. But that makes it a harder decision. I have "everything", but is it worth trying to "upgrade" the little components and junk to bring it up to date with new freon? or just buy a kit and toss the old junk... ugh.

10. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Does Vintage Air or CAA allow you to use your factory center vent? Or do you have to use their center vent?