Vintage Air

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ATM, Feb 6, 2011.

1. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My car was non a/c but I bought an a/c dash pad. So I have a non a/c car with an a/c dash, so when I ordered from Vintage Air (they have two kits one for factory air one for non a/c) I told them what I had done. They added in two reducers, two lengths of flex hose and the center dash vent opening adapter so I could plumb that one it instead of the one that comes in their non a/c kit. The one that comes for cars without a center dash opening is a vent that installs under the dash above the end of the console, kinda looks a little cheesy. The reducers are needed cause the dusts on the evap box (under dash unit) are different sizes between the evap boxes for non a/c or factory a/c, then the hose was the right size to go from reducer up to center vent adapter. They were very helpful.

2. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good info, thanks. I printed the VA instructions for cars that had factory A/C and it appears that the GM style center dash vent can be used with their adapter. I am looking on CAA's site now and it appears that you have to use their center dash vent. It's not a total deal killer, but it's a detail that I would look at when selecting between the two.

This is from the CAA website

[​IMG]

3. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I checked 'em both out (Vin AIr/Classic) and liked what I saw on Vin air, plus what I have seen posted here on Nasty.

4. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

I also bought an AC dash and a factory repro center vent. To make it work, I took the plenum from the Vintage Air center vent and, using high temp aluminum tape, mounted the plenum to the rear of the factory center vent. Worked great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

These kits all come with new vent line I hope. I just removed all of my sad falling apart hose and tossed it in the corner. I'll save it for size purposes, but it is really trashed. I did find a mouse nest in one of them, and what looked like mortar in another one.

6. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have Vintage Air in my 77 that is cool only. 134a. The car retains all of the factory heat and controls. No way I was going to cut up my perfect dash to install a center vent. And the center vent that they give you to go into the dash after you cut it looks like ass.

I use a center vent with the controls on it, and it blows out the two end vents as well.

It was so easy even Ace could do it.

[​IMG]

7. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can imagine that your comment may stimulate a little discussion. Signature material perhaps? :)

8. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oh I'm sure it can't be that easy. lol.

Is there any way that the lines can come out the blower hole under the fender and not out where the AC delete panel will go so that they are somewhat hidden?

9. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Yes you can do that but, because you are doing a custom install you will have to get different fittings for the evap. box and probably longer lines. VA sells a different type of line called E-Z Clip that is more flexible and doesn't require an expensive crimping tool or taking it to someone to have the lines crimped. It uses a plier type crimp tool that is less than $20 and special band clamps. The nice thing about these are the fittings can be reused, you just cut the band clamp and pull the fitting out of the hose and install a new clamp when you put it back together and you can crimp the bands while the lines are still on the car. These lines are more expensive but are more user friendly imho. Here's a link to the e-z clip fittings/lines. http://www.vintageair.com/catalog10/2010 VintageAir Catalog web hi-res (Page 70).pdf

10. Xinorok

Xinorok New Member

Unfortunately, conversion kits for 2nd gen. controls don't seem to be available.