viper 6speed install

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by anton28, Jul 15, 2006.

1. anton28

anton28 Member

I just got a 6 speed from a 1998 viper. Can you guys tell me where I can find all the necessary parts to fit it into my 1970 camaro 350. pedals, bell housing, linkage etc.

i chose a viper transmission over a camaro/firebird one because of the shifter location. I was told the camaro/firebird transmission it too long. Is that correct?

Thanks allot.

2. LTjames

LTjames Veteran Member

I might be wrong but you might have some trouble with the length/splines of the input shaft...and there are offset shifters you can buy to relocate the GM one.

3. useorloseit77

useorloseit77 Veteran Member

if anything. the viper t56 is supposedly stronger than one from an fbody. the only things i can think of you would have trouble with is the clutch, the bellhousing, and the driveshaft. i know they have adapter plates for the fbody t56.

4. Chris71RS

Chris71RS Veteran Member

An Island called "long" in the north atlantic
    I did the Viper T56 swap in my 83 Mustang (prior to getting some brains and buying the Camaro). I found D&D Performance had all the parts I needed to make the swap happen.

www.DDperformance.com

5. anton28

anton28 Member

ohh man i hope i dont have any issues with the input shaft. does anyone know for sure? if so is it difficult it replace?

6. schitzo

schitzo Veteran Member

I know for sure that the input shaft will either need to be replaced or turned down. The clutch release system might also need to be reworked because the viper thowout bearing might not work too well with a GM pressureplate.In addition, the viper bellhousing to block bolt pattern will not work with a GM block....I believe an adapter can take care of that.finally you will need a 30 spline yoke.

Fix those few things and you will have a great trans. The viper T56 is much more beefier than a stock f-body T56.

D&D performance or http://www.t56rebuilds.com/ should take care of all your needs. give em a jingle

7. anton28

anton28 Member

thanks schitzo.