vortec 8100

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Erics73z, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Erics73z

Erics73z New Member

i have a 02 3/4 ton with the 8100 in it that was rolled also thinking of swapping that. would it be a nightmare to do. any comments or ideas.

2. GetMore

GetMore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Offhand, I'd say it wouldn't be much worse than going to a normal big block and installing EFI.
    You might need to use a cowl hood, I'm not sure how tall the intake is.
    At least you have lots of mounting options for the ECU.
    You might also want to change your brake booster to the hydroboost system from the truck.
    You are going to use engine and transmission, right?

3. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Jakeshoe was playing with one of those....you might wanna talk to him about specifics since he got his rebuilt to '505' specs and some other goodies (not much far from stock on a motor THAT big)......:D

4. johnny_rebel

johnny_rebel Veteran Member

i put one in a 55 chevy cameo, its not any harder than any of the lsx swaps, just a big block. the only problem i could forsee is header fitment, its a tall deck BB with the new style exhaust, youll almost certainly have to pay for custom headers(unless you can weld good). i only had to fabricate 2 parts to make it work, cant remeber which ones, but it was simple/easy stuff.

all in all the 8100 is an underrated power platform, i likes its massive flat tourqe curve.