Was offer a 78 Corvette with L82

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by MrTailLight, Dec 13, 2011.

1. MrTailLight

MrTailLight Veteran Member

hello all, i have an 01 Expediton i have just over 1K in and was offered a clean 78 Anniversary Edition L82 Corvette.

i am going to go check it out today, what are some points to look at? i have never owned a Vette before.

[​IMG]

i am going to go check it out today, what are some points to look at? i have never owned a Vette before.

2. red78z

red78z Veteran Member

check for frame and floor rust , also the headlight doors were swaped out

3. JOHNNYMO

JOHNNYMO Veteran Member

If you can pull off one or both of the kick panels, thaeres a body to frame mount there thats prone to rust. Rust is the killer of C3's. Interior parts are expensive for Vettes, but theres always used.

4. MrTailLight

The current owner says the seats and dash are cracked/wore, i looked up the parts on ebay, they not too aweful expensive, yet not the cheapest either.

i dont mind something different, i was planning on flipping it really. i have about $700 in the expedition and then a few repairs and a few hours in it, landed me at $1100 total investment and listed on craigslist for $4500/trade.

anything used has its own issues, but i didnt want to get into a money pit either.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  5. my24ktrat

my24ktrat Veteran Member

...Also check the suspension bushings for damage, especially the rear , alignment problems arise, DC:bowtie:

6. my24ktrat

my24ktrat Veteran Member

...Also looks like in the pic the headlight buckets have been modified , ask if they still have the originals , they came covered and popped up , DC:bowtie:

7. MrTailLight

i will find out more later when i go check it out. i looked up those square head light conversions, almost $700! wow!!

i personally dont like them, i would want to put the original type back in. thats why they make swap meets, but i really didnt wan to set on this long either. i still have my 79 Camaro project and im in too deep to back out of it now.

thanks for the info guys

8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

At Glance the car looks pretty clean, I'm not a fan of the headlight conversion.
    If you're just planning on flipping it, the vette is worth more than $1100

I'd say watch the vacuum system, those cars have tons of vac driven accessories. T-Tops always leak, as does the rear hatch.

9. Quad Racer Dad

Quad Racer Dad Veteran Member

Ran a Corvette Shop for about 7 years, the 78s are not desirable but still worth more than $1100 as stated above but not worth a bunch. Check the Windshield Frame and Trailing Arms as well for rust, 68-82s are very prone to rust there. T-Tops can be made to not leak with a little effort and the 78 never had a hatch so no worries there, no hatch till the 82 Collectors Edition.

Most all the Original Style Headlight Parts are available repop now days but if you are flipping it I'd save the $$ and leave it as they are. JMO though.

10. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can part out the corvette for a ton of money. The headlight conversion would expensive to reverse and considerable work for somebody, there is alot of parts involved and they would add up fast , if the vaccumm castister are gone. lots of small parts ... Alot of work . Corvettes may not be bringing much money as a whole car these days, but people are still paying pretty high prices for original parts to repair their own cars.