weighed car today after so many changes

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Mwilson, Apr 5, 2018.

1. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Veteran Member

What all did you change? I really need to get mine weighed

2. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I have weighed a lot of cars over the years.
    I hauled scrap iron many years and you get weighed in and out.
    Got to know the owners of some places and I would weigh my car or a buddies before we raced.

These are weights without driver.

1977 TA with cragars and 12" kickers and amps, Poncho 400 with aluminum intake and Holley 3780.

1977 Delta 88 Indy pace car with 350 Olds Iron intake and AFB 6x9's No amp 3740.

1964 Elcamino 388 stroker small block, RPM intake, headers, Cruise and AC and Rally wheels 3780.

1956 4 door Bel air with stock wheels, stock seats, stock radio, 200 inline 6 Ford with C4 for power 3190.

1957 Chevy 210 4 door stock seats, Rally wheels, 350 with TH350 exhaust manifolds RPM intake 3580.

1947 Dodge D100 truck 1982 Ford XLT bench seat with 8" removed from middle (too wide).
    Pinto front suspension 9" Ford rear Aluminum wheels all around Steel bed. (I tear wood up hauling scrap)
    It weighs 3176.
    For such a small truck I thought it would weigh less after i built it. but the floor under your feet was Wood and I stuck in 3/16 steel plate.
    Think of it as safety insurance in case my trans blows.

I never got to weigh my 69 Camaro But I stuck 2/3 rectangular tubing under it from front to back..I made a strut suspension with rack and pinion steering and 9" 31 spline with 4 link and coil overs and Panhard bar.
    Aluminum floor, Lexan glass all around Harwood fiberglass front end.
    I was shooting for 2400 lbs with iron head BBC.
    Guy I got it from had a son and his son wanted his dads car when he got old enough to drive.
    I did all that work to it and sold it to his son for what i purchased it for from his dad.

They both got into drugs and hauled it over the scales !!!! for a bag of weed!!
    Idiots abound.
    At least I had the engine and trans that was going to go in it. and He was making payments on it and I kept the front end until he finished paying it off. Never paid it off.

Wish I had known they were hauling it off..Had a heck of a cage in it $300 of DOM tubing that was 25 years ago.

3. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

I changed everything, suspension, brakes, wheels, motor, transmission, seats, removed ac changed to heat only ect.... I had no idea what it would weigh

4. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Be thankful our cars at least don't weigh as much as a modern Dodge Challenger. What we think is "porky" is still about 800-1000 lbs. lighter than those things.

Just to put this in perspective... if you have 500HP in a 3500 lb. car your HP/Weight ratio is the same as a 642HP engine in a 4500 lb. car.

Let us pray...

roadrace2, John Wright and Mwilson like this.
  5. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

My 1994 dodge 3/4 ton truck 2 wheel drive (new body style change) with 360" magnum and automatic weighed 4200 lbs.
    Damon like you say the new cars are stupid heavy.

6. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

2018 zl1 comes in at 3883. Not bad.