Weight difference between SBC and BBC?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by NYH1, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

What do want the car to do? I general small blocks out handle big blocks because of the weight. You can make stroker small block like around 427 cubic inches with after market blocks.Then you can go the supercharging/Turbocharging route to do it a different way.Big blocks are just brute horsepower and are a lot more money.Your choice.

2. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 396 bored to 402 has aluminum heads,intake,water pump.Headers also reduce the weight.
    I love the way it handles,didn't notice any difference between the all cast iron small block I took out.

You can argue all day about how the small block is lighter.
    My 402 with a mild cam, engine dyno'd 450 HP and 500 Ft. Lbs. torque.
    Real hard to get that kind of Torque from a small block.

dave@ztech likes this.
  3. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can make stroker small block like around 427 cubic inches with after market blocks.Then you can go the supercharging/Turbocharging route to do it a different way.
    How is this cheaper than going with a factory rebuilt BBC to get the same numbers?

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Also for handling its where the weight is. The BBC carries the extra weight relatively high (heads) which the chassis has to deal with due to a higher CG. Bigger sway bars etc. All other things being equal (materials etc).

5. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

The car is just a driver, a toy. I don't want the handling to surfer to much is all.

NYH1.

6. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

30 years ago I plopped a BBC with alum. intake and headers in a stock suspension 1978 Camaro. It replaced a stock 305. While the straight line performance was impressive off ramps from highway were not. Yes you can do things to counteract the extra weight of the big block, but my budget car was a nose heavy, miserable, hot running handful. Just stating my experience, I would not do that again. Also had to add a snorkel hood scoop because Torker intake was too tall. Local police didn't like that accessory. Lol.

7. Jon balch

Jon balch Veteran Member Gold Member

I recently swapped a sb 350 to a big block 572. Yes it’s heavier, but it is a total blast to drive. 720ft lbs of torque will definitely get your blood flowing. Lol. I would never go back to a small block

BigBlock73 likes this.
  8. david.carlton@s

david.carlton@s Veteran Member

Does anyone know if you can reliably get the BBC under the original flat hood if you're using solid body mounts. I think they may be a bit shorter than stock. I understand the Torker manifold used to fit. Are any of the EFI systems shorter than carbs? I'm just poking my head up here after several years; finally thinking about a new engine. Can't make my mind up either..... don't think I want an LS motor.

9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Depends on what carb and intake you want to run.Remember the 1970 1/2-3 Camaro came with a big block.So just use the mounts intake and air cleaner for those.

10. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The old 396/402's are smaller/lower then the tall 454/502's that are out now, there should be plenty of people posts on youtube or another blog about the fitment , however, seeing as how you want it to breathe I don't think you can get it squished in, with out changing the hood, besides, you may want fiberglass to help with the weight.