Welder buying help!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 80sz, Sep 19, 2016.

1. fester

fester Veteran Member

No matter what welder you use, you GOTTA keep the metal clean!! The grinder is your friend. Welding over dirt grease or slag is like trying to re-use a condom. Brush and dress your welds when completed. This allows you to see better what you need, more-less heat, more-less wire speed etc. Experiment with stick rod, that will allow you to learn to watch your puddle and improve your had eye co-ordination. Once you learn to control the feed and speed you can try your hand at TIG... Enjoy

2. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yup, you'll like that one much better. I still have one of those from back when they were 135 Handlers. Been a great lil machine.

3. BowHunter

BowHunter Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Skip the harbor freight 220 1 Bought 1 and carried it back Sucked big time gat name brand Miller, Lincoln , Hobart ECT

4. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Thanks for the help. I have to read over manual tonight and tomorrow I'll be practicing ! And thx for tips ,I'll be looking for more,I got .030 flux wire in now that came with it. Saving now for the tanks,hopefully soon I can do some gmaw welding! Lol lingo:)

5. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

FYI, I learned more in 5-10 minutes having my neighbor, an expert welder show me,
    then I did in 5 years of reading stuff online and manuals!!!!

Practice, practice, practice!!!!!

OH YEA, I have a Miller 250 TIG and Miller 250 MIG, Millers are awesome!!!!

6. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Excellent choice OP, if you are doing any body work with this machine my tip is go painfully slow. I mean do a couple tiny tacks and let that panel cool down. Patience will do you well. Thats a sweet setup.

7. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

You got the better machine. Stay away from the store brand lincolns. Plastic drive gears and spools for the wire feed.

8. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

The Hobart 140 is a GREAT welder. Returning the lincoln and getting the Hobart 140 was a wise thing. I have had mine for close to 12 years now and not a single prob out of it.

Get shielding gas for it and use solid wire and gas on all of your welding. Much cleaner welds.

I buy the larger 10 lb spools of wire, and I bought a 140 cu. ft gas bottle. I find it just easier to deal with and I hate running out of wire or gas in middle of a project.

Use .023" wire on body panels, sheet metal. Use .030" on just about everything else.

I have welded frames, roll cage, car hauler ramps, go carts, brackets, sheet metal, exhaust, etc with mine over the years. In fact I just finished building a mobile keyboard, power supply, amp cart for the local high school marching band.

The claims on metal thickness for welders, plasma cutters, etc is BS for the most part. A good rule of thumb is for a single pass MIG weld you need 1 amp output per .001" thickness steel you are welding. IE... 1/8" steel is .125" you need 125 amp.

I have welded 3/16" (car hauler ramps) steel with my Hobart 140 but I double and triple pass welds on it.

I would never try to weld 1/4" steel with a 140 amp mig.

Practice and clean metal is the best 2 things to keep in mind. Keep a couple of angle grinders handy with grinding wheel in one and wire cup in another. You want clean shiny metal to weld to.

Also if you are butting 2 flats together to weld, you want to bevel the edges some.

Practice on thicker steel at 1st to get use to it (less risk of blowing a hole in it) when you get the hang of it some then go to the thinner steel.

Watch some welding Youtube vids. I like chucky2009, he's fun to watch and gives pretty good info.

9. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

I'll be in training tonight after work, got a friend who can weld helping me out. Then of course he wants to borrow it,man already I just got it!

10. My73LT

My73LT Veteran Member

You'll be happy with that one.