welding axle tubes

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Goat, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Any special considerations when welding steel axle tubes to a cast iron center?
    rod material? heat? etc...

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Best if done by someone who is familiar with welding cast iron. I TIG weld them with N99 wire, but most people are going to stick weld them with nickel rod. Those nickel rods are very hard to control.

4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

use muggy weld, it works great for that.

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

:lush: heavily....lol

6. Lyonsperf

Lyonsperf Master Tinker

I prefer to "pin" the tubes to the carrier using 1/2" grade 8 bolts.
    Drill and tap the carrier through the tubes in three equal places around the housing, then use red loctite and a flat washer.
    I use 1/2-24 thread by 3/4" long bolts.
    Have done many over the past 30 years and never had a failure.

7. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Nothing wrong with that. I would just say to others who want to do this that you need to be careful to drill and tap into the tube in an area where you get the complete hole in the tube and not on the edge of the tube. Also try to use a thick area of the casting. Look inside the axle tube and find the best location for the bolts. Use bolts that are just long enough to go through the tube but don't stick out inside the tube where they might contact the axle.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  8. Lyonsperf

Lyonsperf Master Tinker

I drill out the factory spot weld that holds the tube in the casting and put my first bolt there. Then measure inline with that hole around the tube and put two more in equally spaced around the tube.

9. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

From a different forum a write up on retubbing a 12 bolt section using welding rods:

I wanted to follow up on this top secret information no one is willing to help with so maybe someone wanting to do this can have solid information to do the job themself.
    From the end of tube for 3.50” you’ll need to machine tube ends that’ll get pressed into the housing down to 2.95”. It’ll take a 1lb of 1/8” MG 289 welding rod to complete welding 6 plugs and both tubes to coconut. A Rosebud will be needed for preheating. Preheat and maintain 300* temp while welding. Use a needle gun or air chisel with a blunt tip and peen the welds after welding to relieve the weld as much as possible. Pay close attention to coconut temp while welding maintain and hold a 300* temp. Once all welding is complete wrap coconut entirely in a welding blanket and let slow cool do it thing. I left the last rearend set for 12 hours after welding to cool wrapped up.

10. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

I recently did something similar, but I used Huck Bolts. Each 3/16" bolt has 2000 lbs of shear strength and will never come loose. Of course, you would need access to an installation tool. The drilling and tapping sounds effective and easier.