What an $11,000 Rod knock sounds like

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Aceshigh, Jan 16, 2007.

1. dustypowers

dustypowers Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i would be going thru the roof at this point can that guy feel your hands on his neck

2. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Actually.....that made alot of sense. There's snow on the ground here.....too cold for the Busa, besides I'd probably rip up to 180mph and kill myself being stupid and careless in my misery. I'm frustrated, and I usually will go motocrossing if I'm aggravated and run myself into a tree or something.....

LQ9 ?? For $500 ?? Hows that even possible ??

3. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I guess I'll have to consider that as a reality here.......
    I wouldn't want to take this out on an innocent person if the variables don't add up in a line :(
    I'll end up eating it, I already know it.....

4. southern-breeze

southern-breeze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

SEND THE video to the place where you bought it from ,and if i am not wrong ,i think there are a few members that live in huntsville which is close to ardmore ,that could pay them a visit for you ..

5. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Did you use pay pal when you purchased the motor off e-bay??? If the shop had the pan off to install some new parts I would want to be there when they pull it off. I would want to see how the windage tray was installed. More than likely it's mounted to a main cap. Did they also put in a new pick up tube? I would want to see the torque spec on the main before it is taken off and also see the connection of the pickup tube when the pan is taken off.

Good Luck Man were all feeling the pain.

6. EddieP

EddieP Member

Didn't make a special appearance just to reply to your topic. ;) I just bought a '70 Camaro I pan to use for a LS1/T56 retro fit this past Sunday and saw nasty28 referenced in the hybrid/conversion forum on LS1tech. I have been a member on camaroz28 and LS1tech for quite some time (almost 9 years on cz28). Just happened that your post was the first I replied to on here ... I wasn't going to miss out on a thread titled "What an $11K rod knock sounds like".

Anyway, the likelyhood of it being the o-ring is extremely high - I'd bet money on it. If it were a '98-'99 motor, then the pump bypass valve would be suspect, but an '04 motor after someone removed/reinstalled the pick up screams of a poorly seated o-ring.

Eddie

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  7. dans2ndgenfbody

dans2ndgenfbody Veteran Member

If it is a poorly seated O ring (which sounds very logical to me) then I say they ran it for awhile with that o ring not seated and now damge is done.

Being that they had the pan off I would definetly have a talk with them because if the rod knock and low oil pressure was already there they would have noticed it in the pan. Not huge pieces but definitely bearing shavings.

8. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Well....I'm hoping for the best....and that's its someone else's fault, and they penny up the funds to get it fixed.

But I will toss this out to you....

If you had put in that crate 454 HO....you'd be on the road by now bro....:confused:

N.B.L.... :crazy:

Take a breather....and figure out the game plan....

9. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I didn't read all of this, so there might be stuff I'm missing.

Why would they, or anyone, need to drop the oil pan and replace a windage tray?

It took a lot of cutting/bending/grinding to get a stok windage tray into my 427 oil pan. I can just imagine the noise if one rod bolt or counter balance was hitting it.

10. zbugger

zbugger Veteran Member

I still don't see why there was a need to change the windage tray from one to the other. Shouldn't make much of a difference between the two at all, if any. And yeah, knowing that, it does sound like the o-ring wasn't seated correctly. If there's any leak through there, it's very likely that you won't be picking up any oil pressure at all. I'd also wonder if they installed it dry or put some lube on the o-ring when installing it. I've known some decent shops to forget a tiny thing like that and have to eat the cost of a new engine. If your shop did it, and the engine is toast, I'd think they would have to eat the cost of the rebuild.