What an $11,000 Rod knock sounds like

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Aceshigh, Jan 16, 2007.

1. 1st and goal

1st and goal Veteran Member

It sounds like they didn't verify oil pressure before firing it up....

Every motor I've ever started up for the first time I've spun it over and made sure I had an oil pressure gauge hooked up and looked for good oil pressure before I let it fire up.

Good luck, don't let it get you down.

Just do your part to spur the economy ;)

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Read your service manuals carefully. Many manufacturers today specify that you must prefill the oil filter when changing oil on the newer engines to help prevent this kind of damage. Even a few seconds without oil pressure can damage newer engines.

3. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You're not familiar with the LSx series engines.

They have a different oil pan design for each chassis and the windade tray varies for each, there are actually two windage trays in the motor, one attached to the mains, another attached to the oil pan.
    It does make a difference.

4. BACK IN BLACK Z

BACK IN BLACK Z Veteran Member

Walk this thing back slowly Aces. You have a motor that was hopefully pre ran and checked out ok before you bought it. You had this shop install a new pan and windage tray(which included r&r of the p/u tube) which you PAYED them to do. Once the motor was installed and plumbed, the motor was started and two things were noticed imediately
    1. The motor was making a knocking noise
    2. there was no oil pressure

The oiling system was obviously messed with to change the oil pan. The oil system IS LIKELY you problem. The problem will probably be as a result of a faulty reasembly of the oil pick-up. I am sure that "it happens". but I would think that a compatent shop would have used a little more caution when starting your motor for the first time. That's why you paid professionals isn't it? They probably should have verified oil pressure before running the motor.

Man. You need to at least be there when the pan comes off. I would take the motor to a machine shop and have them take the pan and pump ass. apart and document what they find. I bet at the end of all of this it will be the shop that has caused the problem. weather or not you have any proof depends on the next few steps you take right now. Trust me. If they take the pan off without you being present. they will not admit a fault that could have cuased the damage. good luck..Johnny

5. jakeshoe

How are you going to verify oil pressure on an LSx without running it?

6. EddieP

EddieP Member

He probably meant doing something like unplugging the coil harness and building oil pressure with the starter.

7. jakeshoe

Yes that can be done but at that point you might as well start it for a few seconds.

8. EddieP

EddieP Member

I agree. Either way, if it didn't build pressure after ~3 seconds, they should have killed it and checked that the pickup o-ring wasn't pinched and the pump was good.

9. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My LS1 is from a GTO.
    GTO oil pans dont' fit in my car, so I had to purchase a used F-body one.
    In the process of installing the Fbody one I tried hooking up the oil pickup tube to the windage tray.......only to find out it wouldn't work.

So I had to go buy an F-body windage tray too. So I finished installing the pan, and left it as is for them.
    I never put it in, so I dropped off my LS1 to the shop still sitting on the crate
    My new windage tray was in a box along with the pickup tube in it.
    I told them several times PLEASE do not forget to install the pickup tube.
    They said 100% for sure it's in there......

However, now this O-ring thing is making me wonder, so I want to be there the day they take it out so I can ensure they didn't forget it. IF they did, and they see it, naturally they won't want to eat the costs of a rebuild, so they'll probably slap one on quickly. I will have to call them tomorrow and ensure I have them yank the engine and I'm going to verify that O-ring is on it.
    If it's not, I'm going to tell them they are rebuilding the motor because they should have known better. They ARE an LS1 shop
    so I'm assuming they'd realise if it wasn't there. So if it isn't, there's no excuse. I'm still holding out hope for the oil pump fixing the PSI issue, and then taking it from there.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  10. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good point.
    Guess it's impossible.