What an $11,000 Rod knock sounds like

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Aceshigh, Jan 16, 2007.

1. dans2ndgenfbody

dans2ndgenfbody Veteran Member

Man I have been suspect of this shop, to be honest.

I know you had/have no choice and not knocking your decision.

But enough is enough.

I must admit that 99% of the time when something screws up you ALWAYS go back and look at what you worked on last etc. That would be the OILING system in this case and now what??? OILING system problems?

This is a reputable shop and I am sure you did your homework, so there should be no AMATEUR moments.

And no excuses.

Go get em Aces.

2. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The only thing the shop did that wasn't good up til now is hook up an oil pressure gauge upon first crank over.

That's about all I can surmise from the whole scenario.
    It's definitely NOT enough IMO to say they're amateurs or finger point.
    They built quite a few race cars and they were even on "Pinks" with a 4th gen.
    They do have a good reputation and a long history of car builds with all LS1 engines.
    I can't in good faith blame them for this.....not until more is discovered becase
    there's so many unknown variables and some variables that say "poo happens"....so ya know....

And fords too.....

Not too many shops work on LS1's without you paying for their O.J.T. (on job training) ;)

3. EddieP

EddieP Member

I doubt they left the o-ring off entirely, but you never know. Look for signs of it being pinched or otherwise damanged. Also make sure they used a NEW o-ring ... It's a one time use only part!

4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks Eddie, sorry about questioning you.
    It just seemed quite odd to me the timing of your joining, and you had 1 post.
    I thought maybe you were someone else. Thanks for your input . :)

5. 1st and goal

1st and goal Veteran Member

If there's a port for a sending unit then you should be able to hook up a mechanical gauge (I prefer to remove the fuel injector fuses instead of disconnecting the coils) crank the motor over and build oil pressure, once you verify that then you put the fuses back in and fire it up.

6. fast98

fast98 Member

if there gunna put a new oil pump in it there gunna be right there at the oring. they could just say the pump was bad but it was really the o-ring installed wrong.