What Brand of Roof Shingles?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Flynt, May 26, 2019.

1. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

My parent's house needs a new roof. What brands of asphalt roof shingles are good quality and long lasting? Any opinions? The house is located in Alabama if location makes a difference.

2. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Owens Corning Supreme....
    Had them for 5 years and no mold or mildew or black streaks. People have even knocked on our door and wanted to know what's on our roof. The Desert Tan that we have really made a great looking roof

https://www.owenscorning.com/roofing/shingles/supreme/

3. shanghai Kid

shanghai Kid Veteran Member

I have GAF Timberline on my house--sculptured ridge --Very good

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I've owned a house since 1975, and have found that brand doesn't seem to matter. Any brand or style of asphalt shingles seems to last 20 years or 1 hail storm, whichever comes first.

f-body freak likes this.
  5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gary is right they all last, just that some look better as the time goes by,and protect your house better, buy the best that you can afford , GAF or the Owens are two great brands, once you get to the better grades, stay away from contractors grade, as those are lower quality , also be sure that if you are not the one installing them , that the company you use has been in business at least 10 years , and that the underlayment they use is also best quality . Check your underside of the roof from your attic , looking for plywood that is staining or rotting, as that will need to be replaced as well, and installers love to find that stuff on the install day, as now they have you over a barrel , you want to know , the price of any sheeting that needs to be replaced all ready disclosed , before any work starts , and make sure they use similar quality to what you had, plywood vs particle board, and last but not least the type and brand of nails and if they are using air guns, or hammers .

6. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

We have CertainTeed Landmark series here in Northern VA. Roof was replaced 2012 I think, they still look new, but I don't have any roof shading or trees hanging over the roof. They are an architectural shingle (like the GAF Timberline shanghai kid mentioned), thicker than a basic 3-tab, and slightly heavier. In general, they will last longer than a 3-tab, and usually come with a longer warranty to back that claim.

Also, if the roof has hail damage as mentioned by Gary, you may be able to file a homeowner's insurance claim and have them pay for it.

7. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I've worked at a roofing plant for 40+ years. The last 30 it's been my only job. I can't mention where I work as we are forbidden from saying where we work on social media. However, GAF, Owens-Corning and Certanteed all make good roofing. Make sure you get an asphalt roofing with fiberglass mat. Organic mat is still in use and does not last as long. To get your full warranty, you MUST use a base sheet. It's not a big deal in Alabama but up north you want to use an ice and water barrier. My contractor covered my whole roof with it (I had some test material the company wanted to get rid of.). My shingles were seconds that I got for free as they failed a quality test. (I can't get those anymore.) With the rubber underlayment over the whole roof, they are starting to show their age but are 30 years old. Besides the underlayment, you also want to get some hip and ridge as well as starter strips. The roofer can make these from shingles but that wastes shingles if you're on a tight budget.

My house is 70 years old and I'm getting ready to remodel it this summer and I may go with a metal roof to match the garage. Here's a picture of 30 year old second grade roofing on my roof now.

roof.jpg

8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

The asbestos shingles seemed to last a long time...

9. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

I m going to metal roof this summer

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  10. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member