What cars did some decent turbochargers get put in.

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Kasey74, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I LOVE threads like these~ Good info. :cool:

That sounds like it's within my ballpark of fortune. :D

This is my goal for my LS1 as well, twin turbo's.
    This guy has a site dedicated to his twin turbo 2nd gen that I found
    many years ago when I first came here. Hope it MIGHT help if at all.

He has MANY PDF files explaining CFM, turbo selection, etc etc.....it's a MUST IMO for a 2nd genner Turbo enthusiast newb like me.
    Grape Ape
    http://www.grapeaperacing.com/

Yep.....I didn't know this either until I did some looking into it.

Take a 2008 Saturn Sky MPG vs a 2008 Saturn Sky Redline (turbo) MPG and compare....;)
    The turbo gets the same if not 1mpg MORE.......as long as you keep your foot out of it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  2. Kasey74

Kasey74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. craggar

craggar Veteran Member

If you're talking about my Vega, no I had no issues with clearance on the carb hat because I had a 4" cowl hood. The down pipes were a little close though.

4. KJZ28

KJZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have not read the whole thread but I know a few people who purchase diesel turbos really cheap off ebay. about $150 a piece. $30-40 for a rebuild kit. They run really well and there was even an article on a ***tang in Hot Rod that did it on the cheap. runs 10s. Not bad. If I go the turbo route ever, Ill buy it from there. These turbos are built to last and have a lot of potential.

5. Kasey74

... i bought a couple T3's from the wrecking yard, $60 each. 1 turned out to be rebuildable, the other one had a compressor wheel that had rubbed the housing... junk! ...took it back and got my money back. Then, ordering a rebuild kit turned out to be a pain, since i had to measure everything before ordering new bushings, gaskets, etc. The shaft tolerance is about .0008", to .0014". Then try to clean all the rust, etc from the housing, and waste more time rebuilding it. I see on ebay, rebuilt turbo's like the ones i found are about $160, they are nice and clean, no rust, etc. i wish i had gone that route from the beginning...:screwup:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  6. Kasey74

A new project to work on :crazy: ...My brother found this "survivor" 70 Nova 6 cyl, last spring, with 26,300 original miles... ( only works out to about 700 miles a year that it was driven :screwup: ), ...and he had a spare set of SS wheels, so he put those on. It's almost like a new car ! The interior, trunk, and underbody are mint, the glass is all original without a scratch in it.... even the original weather strip is in mint condition. He drove it to a car show last summer, and won best interior award - and his comment to the judge was " but i have'nt even vaccumed it yet" !, lol. ...The paint is all original, hardly faded, but has a couple minor dings and scratches in it. The car apparently spent most of its life in a garage, and only was driven if the weather was nice. Up until about a month ago, it had a 250 inline 6, 145 hp / 2spd powerglide-like, manual shift automatic trans ( called a torque-drive !? ). Its already been replaced with a 350 / M21, that all looks like it came from gm that way. Now the diff / leaf springs just need to be changed, and it will look like an original small block Nova SS. --- The cool part is, my brother phoned me up, and asked me if i wanted to come pick up this 250 w/trans ( "boat anchor", as he called it ) ...free ? "sure... be there in 20 min", i said. My plan is, to find either a dirt-cheap 55 chev pickup ( like the red one in the pic below ) or even a 66 or so, chev pickup with a small back window. Put the 250 in, and maybe upgrade to a turbo 350 trans ---- and then get a T3 or T4 turbo to give it a bit of "oomph". The idea is, to make something good on gas so i can do some road trips, has about 200 - 300 hp, and looks fairly decent... maybe even a bit of a pro-street look - for as little money as possible. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  7. 78CAMAROINSC

78CAMAROINSC Veteran Member

nice nova and truck to. Sounds like a decent plan for a truck.

8. Kasey74

... should be fun. I'm just lookin forward to the knowledge i'll gain by turbo'in somethin, and makin it succesful. just a steppin stone to bigger things :bowtie:

9. 1FstChevy

1FstChevy Veteran Member

Man thats a beautiful Nova, reminds me of my X-Body brother, Apollo survivor! :) Only my miles aren't quite that low but then again it came with a big ole 350 so how could someone only drive it 700miles a year!?

If your looking to retro fit a turbo perhaps the setup from a Grand National?! Or simply an entire GN drivetrain? I know its one of the most bullet proof drivetrains by far and is very dependable on the road or at the track, but of course I have no clue about interchangability... but it seems like a place to start! and instead of a truck you could build a turbo corvair, they only weigh approx. 2300lbs but overheat easily with too much power. If you check out the corvair on www.pro-touring.com thats matte black with the big flat black stripe on it you'll be sold on the idea!

10. BigDaddy73

BigDaddy73 Veteran Member

good info, i want turbos for my 73 now! :bowtie: