What Do Other People in My Situation Do?

Discussion in 'Sponsor, Vendors & New Products' started by RockAuto, Sep 18, 2019.

1. RockAuto

RockAuto Veteran Member Staff Member NazstyZ28 Sponsor

Gaining insights from a relative handful of anonymous product reviews requires patience and skill at reading between the lines. Anonymous reviews of replacement auto parts are even sketchier. There are just too many parts and too many vehicle models to ever hope to get a meaningful number of useful reviews for any one part. RockAuto may have ten alternators with a choice of three amperage outputs that fit just one truck. Reviews of broad part types (alternators, thermostats...) and brands (ACDelco, Stant...) without any specific make, year, model, engine connections are likely to be nothing but vague opinions and biases.

RockAuto's heart icons ([​IMG]) turn the extreme specificity of replacement auto parts into an advantage! A heart icon next to a part means it was ordered most frequently and returned least frequently for a specific vehicle. This is actual data from ALL customers facing similar repairs on the same vehicle. That is what makes heart icons great. They are based on data that automatically reflects the myriad things ALL customers purchasing that part for that vehicle have taken into account.

[​IMG]

2. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know what you are asking, but I felt pretty burned by RockAuto when I purchased what was advertised to be an original GM AC Delco radiator for my Tahoe that ( I understood ) was supposed to be a direct fit replacement for what my truck left the factory with. What I got was a full 5/8" thinner than the factory one I pulled out. After contacting RockAuto about the variance, I was told I could ship it back at my expense and pay a restocking fee, but what would have been the point. - It did fit, but it was not the same as the one it left the factory with.

It would be helpful if you could add notes that specify " This item may be different than what your vehicle left the factory with "

In other words, just add a "let the buyer beware" tag.

--

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^ That's exactly why I don't and never will shop at RockAuto ^

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've had good luck with Rock...until recent.

I bought a valve cover gasket for my wrangler. OEM comes with grommets, and this kit came with O-rings. Leaked really bad. Tried a few tricks. Went to the local parts store the next day, got a Fel-Pro with grommets, and no leaks. I contacted Rock, and they said that I could ship it back at my expense. This would be about 1/2 the cost of a refund. Not worth the effort. I now have it hanging on my wall as decoration, and a reminder.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When I buy parts, sight unseen, I then review the return policy, sometimes the lowest price is not the best price, in the end.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  6. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I got a defective upper manifold from Rock Auto and they were great about it. They tend to sell a wide range of parts from junk to premium so IMO you need to review what you're going to buy for brand and line quality.

7. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When I buy parts online, I make sure that they are exactly what I need. When I put AFR heads on my car, IIRC I need #1203 Felpro head gaskets. I ordered them off Ebay and got a set of gaskets that weren't even Felpro. I went back and reread the listing and read in small print that they were modeled after the Felpros. My error. Most of the parts I've gotten were good and are still on my car today.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  8. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Like most places it depends on who you get on the other end of the phone,I'm sure rock auto deals with ALOT of gropers who first you-tube something then part shop for the cheapest [that's their schtick] then have no clue what they are doing and call whining.I had same exact experience with rock on radiator for Yukon,thing was like for a Saturn! called,got the ship it back at my expense etc.I asked for their supervisor told them it was unacceptable [waited on hold that's ok] explained calmly-hard for me LOL the issue,they offered a return and send me a label for fed ex postage.I didn't push my luck for a pick-up I dropped it off at the local kinkos/fed ex.I'm learning if I can't see it put it in my hand it might not be a wise buy! Later Steve!!

hubedobeedo likes this.