what do you expect for a $5000 project car?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Jimmac, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

got a 66 el camino listed on craigslist, listed at 5500 obo. it's a running, driving complete truck. my weekend driver,
    I'm getting how's the paint?, interior?, does it run?, etc. I get the vibe these guys are expecting a car show ready vehicle and when I explain the paint is old, needs a headliner etc they never call back. I understand we all want a great deal but the question to all.
    if your looking for a mid 60s hotrod with a 5000 dollar budget, what kind of condition do you find in this price range? jim

2. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

5k and it runs & drives? It would be gone quick out here... Trade ya a 99 Trans Am for it lol

3. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

about 10 years ago, member toomanyhobbies lived in Phoenix and posted he was looking for a el camino. I just got a 72 back together and told him I'd let it go for 2500. sb400, th350 12 bolt disc brakes ps pb, nice seat, new carpet, door panels, weld wheels. He drove to tucson asked to take a test drive, got out of the car and paid 2500 for it. even back then he was telling me that he'd been searching for months and most cars he looked at didnt even run.
    I just installed door weatherstripping this afternoon, longer I keep it, more I keep doing to it. looking for a rear sway bar, a disc brake change over for the front, I refuse to install my spare 12 bolt posi. But I even have a 66 12 boot for it if i decide to keep the truck. jim

4. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

Your Elky doesn't sound like a bad deal for 5K. The other thing I look for in any deal is the condition of the body. How much rust will I have to deal with?? If your Elky has a reasonable body, I don't think your price is off base. You just haven't found the right buyer yet. Hang in there.

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Let's see some pic's. I always like the Elcamino's, The best of both worlds.

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

I would agree 5k for a 66 is not out of the ballpark but as suggested depends on how much rust needs to be dealt with and the completeness of the car.
    As an active buyer i will pass up most cars for the reason stated above also gets to be a bit tiring chasing after cars or engine parts where the car is not close to what the seller is stating "only 1% rust means 1% rott with rust all over the car or heads have checked out good with no cracks but are pitted beyond use"

So good pictures might help...it will sell

7. aggcamaro74

aggcamaro74 Member

Craiglist doesn't get the kind of traffic it used too. I mostly shop around on facebook marketplace now. Less face accounts and scams, although I have seen a few.

If I was trying to sell a hotrod in Tucson I would park it close to DM with a for sale sign and try to get a young airmen to but it.

8. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

I have a guy driving down from Phoenix to look at it, hes looking for a quick flip. I'm going to drive it over to the lemon lot on Davis Monahan next week if it doesn't sell. I'm out of room in my yard. jim 20180512_115935.jpg

budro6968 likes this.
  9. aggcamaro74

aggcamaro74 Member

Man, that looks like a great car for the price.

10. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Someone will be interested sooner or later. On my way home every day there was a 68 VW bug, they wanted 7000 for it. It sat there for months but its gone now. I'd been interested if it was half that much.