What Engine to go with?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Shannon Lozinski, Sep 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Shannon Lozinski

Shannon Lozinski New Member

I'm restoring my 1980 fully loaded Z28 350 LM1 with TH350 3 speed Auto. I'm second owner, have had it since 1989. Goal is to keep it close to original, but it doesn't have the original engine only the tranny. My attempts to find an era correct CHA block have been futile, so I'm thinking about plan B.

Thoughts on a crate engine or rebuilt that would be good for this car without having to upgrade too many other pieces?

Thanks
    Shannon

1980RS likes this.
  2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

What do you want to do with the car ? It will help us help you.You can get one from Chevrolet and paint it to look like a stock engine.Extrude hone the exhaust manifolds.Either go with dual exhaust with high flow catalytic converters and mufflers.as money permits.

3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Here is what I would do and the same thing I told my brother when he wanted to modify his 73 years ago. I would take the engine out and put it in the corner, fog the motor and release the valve springs cover it up and keep it until you want to use it again. This way you can put in any SBC engine that you want for performance and have some fun with the car. Now, this is if you can afford to do this. I like doing it this way as to preserve the original engine as once you redo the factory engine it not stock ever again.

4. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

It doesn't have the original engine anyway, plus what is a 1980 with original engine really worth unless it's really low miles?
    I would just buy a crate motor personally - junk the motor that's in there or keep it as a spare or whatever depending on your storage situation. I keep everything so I would keep it. GMPP has several options depending on your budget and desired power level - from 300-500hp with pricing shifting accordingly. Check Summit and Jegs for a nice list of options.

5. Shannon Lozinski

Thanks, I agree. I am thinking a nice fit for this car would be the 350 HO crate. They make a combo engine & 4 speed auto tranny that looks appealing. Does anyone know if there is a console shifter kit to modify this car from 3 to 4 speed? Thanks

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

ShiftWorks sells a kit to convert the factory auto shifter to a 4 speed.

https://shiftworks.com/collections/...1979-81-camaro-factory-shifter-conversion-kit

Description says the kit doesn't allow for backup lights and neutral safety switch but I have this kit installed and did not need to rewire those switches.
    (The Neutral safety switch is not aligned quite right but who starts an automatic car in Neutral?)

7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I spoke with them (shiftworks) last year, only reason I didn't use them is because the ratchet action wouldn't work when converted to 4 speed. I believe they do have a kit that allows for activation of NSS and backup lights. https://shiftworks.com/collections/...-shifter-relocation-kit?variant=2796763217941

As for engine, I recently went with a crate engine, but it's a bit more than an everyday cruiser. Crates seem to be the bang for the buck now. I installed an Edelbrock ProFlo 4 EFI setup, and I'm running a 700-R4 transmission. All is well.

Before you decide to go overdrive - what is your rear gear ratio? You may have too steep a gear for this.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  8. Shannon Lozinski

Its got the factory, stock 3.42 posi in it. Thanks

9. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A 3.42 gear and 700-R4 will work fine with anything like a stock to moderate build engine. If you want to get a bit more rumpity, check your wallet and post what you want to do. :D

10. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Someone put a GM 350 CT (circle track) engine in my Z, basically the same as the 350 HO slightly higher red line and HP. Its a gamble with the flat tappet camshaft though, seems lots of people are wiping lobes today unless you use the right oil. I upgrade to the LT4 camshaft, and roller rockers on mine, and then later on some blueprint alum cylinder heads. Good running engine. SHowing a $500 rebate offer on the GM website right now. 24 month/50,000 mile warranty. https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/small-block-350-ho the LT4 camshaft is %900 with roller rockers, springs and parts at summit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12480002 I think Vortec heads are good for >500 lift, to go with the .525 lift of the LT4 you have to have the valve stem guides cut down a bit. I had that and screw in studs done for around $100 at a local machine shop. You can beat yourself up looking and pricing when trying to find an engine. I like the quality behind GM but there are lots of other out there with good packages available, you can compare at Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/search...-7l-350/engine-family/chevy-small-block-gen-i