What intakes will fit a 2003 lq4?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by OsborneConst, Apr 20, 2011.

1. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 79 Z28 is finally in the shop, and getting ready to start the LS conversion. The engine is a 6.0 out of my wrecked truck. I want to maintain the factory hood so I need to get a shorter intake. Will any LS intake off from a car work? Are the LS1 LS3 LS6 LS7 the same? Is there a specific one I should get, or a specific one to stay away from? Thanks.

2. Ravenous70

Ravenous70 Veteran Member

LS1, LS6, & LS2 intakes you can use...LS3, LS7 have different intake ports so you can't use them...best Bet is buy a LS6 intake(01-04) since they flow better then the standard LS1 intake (97-00)

3. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

If you go to a car intake, your truck accessories (water pump, alt, PS) will not work. the vertical neck on the truck pump hits the car throttle body.

4. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

For power, the LS6 is the best intake choice as it is known/tested to produce more HP and Torque than the LS2 intake which came later.

The LS1 and LS6 manifold use very tall LS1 sized injectors whereas the LS2 manifold uses a shorter injector. I don't think the stock fuel rails interchange and aftermarket Billet rails certainly do not - they have different spacing between the LS1/LS6 and LS2 configurations. (Ask how I know.)
    Back to injectors - I think the LS1 and LS2 injectors have different connectors, so if your wiring harness is for LS2, you probably should stick with an LS2 manifold; there are directions for porting it to improve its performance. Also, LS2 manifold are for sale everywhere for around $150-$200 as people replace them with FAST manifolds.

Personally, I have a 2007 LS2 with LS6 manifold (and odd mix of LS parts).

Accessories - the truck accessories stick out further than the car (GTO) or Corvette accessories. To switch from Truck to car, you need the matching water pump, tensioner and crank pulley/balancer. Also the correct accessory bracket (e.g. from Kwik Performance)

I know this stuff pretty well and you are welcome to PM me and arrange a phone call. I see you are in Michigan too; if you are ever in Ann Arbor, please stop by.

5. OsborneConst

So is my truck engine an LS2? It is an lq4.

If I get a different intake, do I need a different throtle body, or can I use the stock one? Is the stock one a 90mm? Thanks again, Kevin.

6. Ravenous70

LS2 is all Aluminum, LQ4 is cast iron

7. OsborneConst

So what LS is it?

8. Ravenous70

9. Ravenous70

"The 6.0 L is a larger truck version of the LS1, with the exception that the blocks were cast of iron, and was designed to bridge the gap between the new small blocks and big blocks in truck applications. There were two version of this engine: the LQ4 and the LQ9, the latter being more performance oriented. Although the block of the 6.0L looks similar to the LS1, they are iron instead of aluminum."

"The LS2 was introduced as the Corvette's new base engine for the 2005 model year. It also appeared as the standard powerplant for the 2005-2006 GTO and SS Trailblazer."

from wiki

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  10. Ravenous70

Yours is a LQ4....it's a truck motor. The LS/LQ stuff can almost all interchange with each other