What intakes will fit a 2003 lq4?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by OsborneConst, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Ravenous70

Ravenous70 Veteran Member

2. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for all of that. I don't want to sound stupid, I just didn't realize there were so many variations of the LS series engines.

So I guess to narrow my question, if I get an LS1 or LS6 intake, I can use my fuel rails, injectors, and throttle body. An LS2 intake will work, however I will have to get different rails, injectors, and throttle body?

3. Ravenous70

Ravenous70 Veteran Member

I think the LS2 intake has a larger opening for the throttle body, plus a LS2 intake is Drive by wire throttle body ( i think all of them are for LS2 motors ) But yea you would have to get new rails and injectors. U can use a LS1 Throttle body on a LS6 intake but all the Vette Throttle bodies are Drive By wire not cable driven, just remember that before u buy one (unless u are doing a drive by wire setup)

4. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Ravenous70 - Thanks for the correction that this is probably a 6.0L LS1 engine and not an LS2 engine.

OsborneConst - You should double-check that the block is steel and not aluminum. Also check if your throttle is cable operated and not drive-by-wire. I PM'ed you my cell phone number. We should discuss whether you want to go with GTO accessories, or stay with the truck accessories. If your budget can handle it, I would recommend the GTO accessories as the water pump plumbing is better and you gain about 0.7 inches of space in front. Otherwise, I have a low-profile truck spacing water pump if needed. We can discuss all these details by phone, but first it is essential to know exactly what engine you have.

5. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

This is a very detailed article with dyno testing of all the different LS manifolds including the expensive FAST ones.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289456

The LS6 is clearly the best deal. Interestingly the larger throttle body on the LS2 and FAST manifolds made no difference below 6000 rpm and only a tiny bit above that.

6. OsborneConst

Mrvedit- I will call you sometime tomorrow, and see if we can meet up some point this weekend.

My engine is a steel lq4 6.0 and it is drive by wire, and I have already taken the pedal/electronics out of the truck along with the entire engine wire harness.

7. Bobby G

Bobby G Veteran Member

This is my 2007 LQ4 in a 1980 T/A

This is my 2007 LQ4 I am putting it in my 1980 . It was drive by wire and I decided to make it drive by cable. I painted it aluminum color so it looks like a ls1, the intake on it is a 2002 ls6 intake. The other picture is my new PSI conversion wire harness for a LS1 with a 4l80E transmission, I will be starting a build on the website shortly. The other picture is when it was drive by wire but it shows some of the corvette accessories, when I tried the fbody stuff the altenator was too close to the engine mount bolt. I am using the edelbrock hedders and motor plates.[​IMG][​IMG]001.jpg[/IMG][​IMG]

8. Bobby G

Bobby G Veteran Member

Lq4

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. dcart1

dcart1 Veteran Member

You can also make it look more 80's by putting a carb intake on it and possible saving some money on the electronics you need to make it work. You can even get a distributor, but it fits in the front.

10. OsborneConst

I will be starting a build thread on mine soon as well. I am going to keep all of the injection and all electronics. I am even thinking about trying to keep the stock gauge cluster out of the truck, and molding it into the camaro dash.

I bought my wrecked truck back from the insurance company, so I have everything. ( the truck was still driveable until I pulled the driveline) and I know the history of it.

So far I have the 6.0 with all electronics, wiring, etc. A new CTS-V pan and pickup, a Hedman adapter kit ( powder coated motor mounts, trans mount, crossmember, and coated headers), and my computer has already been reprogramed ( to run a baseline test, and we will modify it after it is in the car), and a rebuilt 4l80E.

I guess now I just need to get an intake, and the car accessories, and i should be all set