What parts could I use and is it worth it?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by djkaplan, Apr 16, 2016.

1. djkaplan

djkaplan Veteran Member

Im looking at a 94 t/a to use for parts but im not sure what would actually fit mt 77. Id like to use the 6 speed trans and maybe the ls1 from it.
    im wondering what id else need besides what would come with the car?? my car is a auto converted from manual so i have a clutch pedle and tach.
    Im also thinking of retrofitting the front and rear seats i know some fab would be needed. the drivers left bolster has a tear but i think that should be a easy fix.
    I like the 16s it has so thats a plus especially since ive been looking for 16s.
    the rad fans would be a good addition to my car i think.
    long story short is it possible? is it worth it? how much should i pay?
    any thing i dont use id sell for parts.
    http://http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/94-Trans-am-GT_27236446

2. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

94 model is gonna have an LT1 in it....not worth it.

3. la-rue

la-rue Veteran Member

Yup, 94 = LT1, ls1 didn't start till 98. Ls1 is the way to go, but either one will get the job done, and you can swap many of the parts over. I picked up an '01 z28 and swapped pretty much everything under the hood into the 78. You can also use the 4th gen brakes (again 98+ are better) as well as the 4th gen front seats

4. djkaplan

djkaplan Veteran Member

rear brakes or just front? Im honestly a carb guy so I probably wouldn't use the engine anyways. I just like gen ones too much.
    Im thinking though trans, breaks, seats, radio, radiator and wheels might be worth it if i can get the price down.
    Im starting to think I might mind a bit on the engine. Im just not a fan of computers and i have mixed feelings about efi.

5. la-rue

la-rue Veteran Member

The wheels will only work with about 2"adapters (what I'm currently running on my c5 corvette wheels), the offsets are way off compared to the second gens. 93-97 cars brakes weren't as good as the later years, and were only front disc, 98+ had all discs. I have the rear 98+ brakes, for the front I am using the fbody calipers but c5 corvette rotors as that's what the conversion kit I used was designed for (from custom works performance) not sure of any differences between the early/late 4th gen radiators, but I did also use the one from the donor car, which fits fine, but it does not sit as it did in the 4th gen where it lays back, instead of sitting straight up. That doesn't seem to have caused any issues though

Not sure what all would need to be done to just use the trans.

6. djkaplan

djkaplan Veteran Member

ok so Im hearing is let it pass.
    It seems like a 98+ would just be way better and I could find one that isnt missing the a/c. I do have 2 more questions if you dont mind.
    1. i though all camaro wheel would fit any camaro. Would iroc rims fit a second gen without adapters?
    2. i heard you can use the power steering setup from a 4th in a second with some work and it improves handling and adds a collapsible steering column. is this true?

7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with an LT1, and its bolt in (unlike LS). This
    has been beaten to death on here and LS'ers will always beat their drum. LT1 is
    a small block chevy with upgrades. It makes great power and long lasting.

See the link in my sig for the MOST complete install thread you will find anywhere.

IROC is 3rd Gen, the wheels will work (kinda) if you put front on back and back on
    the front. To make them fit "right" you need spacers.

Nothing in the 4th Gen steering will fit a 2nd Gen. You are thinking of 3rd Gen. If
    you get the "IROC" box, its less turns then all but the WS6 2nd Gen box. Again, see
    my install thread for details. I used an IROC box. Everything you need is there.

Tom

8. djkaplan

djkaplan Veteran Member

Quite a long thread. I'll set some time aside to read it tonight.

9. la-rue

la-rue Veteran Member

Not to say it hasn't been done, I just haven't seen, or don't recall having seen anyone do the complete steering swap into a second gen. I have a buddy who has done pretty much a complete 4th gen swap into his 69 firebird (drivetrain, brakes, complete steering, fuel, complete interior, etc) and he was pretty convinced we'd be able to do the steering swap into mine. I just didn't really feel like doing the extra work. I just went with a remanufactured 3rd gen IROC box, which will bolt right up with the ls1 steering lines

10. djkaplan

djkaplan Veteran Member

At the moment I'm kinda thinking ill use 3rd and 4th parts.
    Iroc steering box.
    1lE rear brakes.
    98+ or c5 front brakes.
    4th seats.
    whatever cheap electric rad fan i can find that fits.
    and do some more research on collapsible steering columns before making a plan there.