What pest/rodent did this?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by matta, Jan 5, 2020.

What pest is this?

Poll closed Jan 12, 2020.
  1. Rat

53.3%
  2. Squirrel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Aliens

46.7%
  1. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Peanut butter with a little piece of dry dog food stuck in it. Oh snap. Lol.

2. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I use the Victor traps with the metal tab and a curl on it. Peanut butter works but they can lick it off and not trip the trap. What I do is use a tooth pick to push it into the curl and then jam the tooth pick into the curl. Being a rodent, they can't resist gnawing on it.

Fabric softener sheets will keep them out of an enclosed space like the inside. Too much air flow under the hood to work there but inside the trunk and passenger compartment it works great.

3. PaRoadDawg

PaRoadDawg Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

4. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Roof rats & Norway rats are 2 different species. Roofs are black & live above ground, Norway rats are brown & are burrowers.

I use Victor traps, they don’t always snap the neck. I too know the squealing noise they make, I left it in the trap and it crawled down the drive & into the street before it died.

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

like everything else in manufacturing....SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED....lol
    regular traps always seem to have a burr on the edge of the "lock" . I always "tune" mine with a little file to ensure NO FREE DINNERS.

Smokey15 likes this.
  6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Victor the best one I have used. Tie a rope or screw them down to a 2x4 or something solid. I have had many traps just disappear. I paint my traps too. Cover all surfaces to prevent rust and warpage. The glue traps need to be Tacked down too. Use a staple gun and a piece of 2x6. I put a plastic spoon full of peanut butter in the middle of 4 Glue traps. I hot glued dog food to the Victor and coat with PB. Usually get a couple rats with one piece. I killed 27 rats in the last month in and around my garage. The baby ones were stuck in the glue. I have a storm sewer behind my house and restaurant grease trap back there too. Constant food source and the drain is like a highway for them. Constant battle plus other big rodents.

7. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Empty cereal box with sticky glue trap secured inside.
    Place along the wall or in a pantry if they are in there.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  8. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Another bait that works on the Victor traps is a cheese curls, wire one to the trip lever with a twisty or a small piece of wire, caught many with this bait.

9. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

Ground hogs are notorious for that too...and they usually come in pairs-one acts as a lookout while the other has fun...then the little bastards take turns! I’ve them assholes on security camera doing that stuff so it happens!

10. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

I use Dollar Store Lavender scented air fresheners. Just like the name brand stuff only $1.00. I place them under the seats, in the trunk and under the hood. I never cover my cars anymore. I'd rather dust them off in the spring than mouse damage. The mice like the dark. I even leave the hood, glovebox (with a freshener in it) and trunk open. I pull the sunvisors away from the front and turn them down. Mice like to get on them and chew into the headline. Sometimes I throw dryer sheets in as well. When department store flyers come with cologne/perfume scented papers in them, I open them and toss into my cars. They may smell like a whorehouse, but I have zero mouse damage. I also throw a considerable amount of mothballs under (NOT IN!) the cars. So my shop smells like a retirement whorehouse.

xten likes this.