What product to use filling gouges in rubber nose cone?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 80sz, Jan 3, 2017.

1. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    What do I use to fill in spots that are under a 1/8" deep? It's a repo nose that I stripped down to bare . Figured I could bring nose in house basement which is warm and get something done. Month off the project and I'm really jonesing for something to work on. Don't use bondo right,it doesn't flex?

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    That's what I used, the 2 part Bondo for urethane. It is hard to sand!! Started with 80 gr. then to 150,320. You have to sand into the damaged material to give the glue some new material to stick to.

3. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Indy
    3M makes a product just for it Don't remember the name it's been a couple years. Pontiac boys turned me on to it. I think I got it from O'Reillys. If not I'm sure a paint supply house will know or have it. Good luck!

4. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Thx I'll see what they have.
    Last stuff I saw for repair on it was white something,I didn't ask what it was looked like white bondo.

5. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Indy
    Cool hope you find it! Came in a older looking red 3M box. It was actually in a tube about the size of a tube of blue poop.

6. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    I feel like buying some aim now...yummy

7. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Indy
    Found it.

Attached Files:

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    This is good stuff. I used it to fix holes and tears in urethane bumper covers. Use a worn out scotch-brite pad to back up the repair. I mix it up then force it into the pad then sick to the back side. "Rough up the area before you place it." Use tape or what ever to hold while it cures. Repair the front side after set up. Regular polyester resin type bondo is fine to use. There are other types but why pay more. If you only have slight scratches or gouges try to 80 grit them out and feather. Come back with the bondo skim coat and feather with finer grit then prime.

Attached Files:

9. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Thx for the tips and procedure that's what I need. I was sanding on it to clean up and I did feather them out a little . The nose isn't the flattest from the mold it came out of. I want it arrow straight .

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I wish you luck. The areas that are flat should not be too hard but there are a lot of curves. Just getting it smooth and fairly one level as far as layers of paint go should be ok. I used a water based primer on the "plastic" bumper covers a lot. Transtar was the brand name. It covered a lot of imperfections. After cure it is really tough stuff. I spilled Gasoline on something I primed with it. Didn't hurt it a bit. just cleaned it off and finished it.