What shifter for factory console and 4L80E?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by OsborneConst, Jan 8, 2012.

1. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have done some searching, and haven't really found any information. What aftermarket shifter(s) will fit in the stock console, and work with a 4L80E?

2. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You might check with Shiftworks to if they offer a modification to a stock style ratchet shifter for a stealthy installation.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  3. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^^^^ the stock one!

4. JAMMINJ007

JAMMINJ007 Veteran Member

I am using a B&M Quicksilver! ;)

5. OsborneConst

I am building the car for a street car, and will probably be my daily driver in good weather, when I don't need my HD. However drag racing is my passion, so it will definately see plenty of track time too. I raced it when I first got it with the stock 'ratchet' shifter in it. It was pretty cool for a stock shifter from the 70's, but I don't think I liked it well enough to use it in competition.

6. Battmann

Battmann Veteran Member

i'm using a B&M megashifter that was made for a third-gen f-body. my camaro is a 1972 so not sure how that would look / fit if you have a different middle console. here's a picture:

[​IMG]

7. 2ndgenhunter

2ndgenhunter Veteran Member

8. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

I used a shiftworks kit, easy to install and factory look

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. RagTop454

RagTop454 Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you're wanting a ratcheting shifter, I don't believe the Shiftworks kit will do it for you using the stock shifter. Although their kit will give you detents for 4 forward gears, it does not add a stop for the ratchet function when shifting into 4th gear. They have the following posted on their website under "Detent Comparison":

"4-speed overdrive conversion Park and Low are in the same location as the original equipment. Use of the "Rally" shifting should be tested individually with the engine off. The conversion was not designed for, and does not include any provision for, use of the "Rally" shifting option. Continued use of this option should be tested with the engine off. There will be NO STOP for the Overdrive."

I agree that even in stock form, the stock shifter, ratchet or standard, is not very well suited for competition as it leaves too many ways for me to do the wrong thing and break stuff. To the best of my knowledge, the B&M Quick Silver and MegaShifter are the only ratchet shifters still made to both fit our consoles and operate a 4 speed auto trans.

10. OsborneConst

Thanks for all of the info. When I posted this I was having a brain fart and thought that the 4L60E and the 4L80E needed a different shifter than the 700R4. I think I will be going with the Quicksilver.