What shifter for factory console and 4L80E?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by OsborneConst, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Bobby G

Bobby G Veteran Member

shifter

Are the 4l80e detents the same as 4l60e? I adjusted my B & M Megashifter to the park location on the detent, but I have to play with it to get it in gear. Wondering if I need to adjust it or are the detents different.

2. Bobby G

Bobby G Veteran Member

Does anyone know the answer to my question

3. studsZ28

studsZ28 Veteran Member

I know the 4L60E and the 700R4's are the same. I believe the 4L80's are close if not the same. I know from experience with the megashifter, if you don't have it just right then the shifter will wanna bind and not work right. For awhile I couldn't go from park to reverse, I had to go from park to drive to reverse. I got underneith, found my issue and fixed it. Now I couldn't be happier. Another thing that I did was heat and bend the cable bracket on the transmission 90 degrees so the cable would have a straight and smooth path.

4. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Almost a year later, and I still need to buy a shifter, as I am hoping to start the car for the first time this week. does anyone have a picture of the quicksilver shifter installed in the factory console? And/or have opinions on why one is better than the other? Thanks.

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used to have 1 in a TA ... 20 yrs ago. It simply bolts in. done! the only difference is I had to "pull up" to shift from neutral to R or P.
    Descent shifter.... but I perfer the factory slap stick.

6. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

I just bought/installed the Quicksilver in my car for my 4L80E. Not even close to using it yet though.

Had one in my Nova and liked it plus they had one that works with my factory console.

Ill see about a picture for you this weekend.

Also, check speed unlimited dot com for the best price on it.

7. OsborneConst

Fitting in the factory console, is definitely something I want, but one of my bigger concerns is if it can easily be shifted between 1-2-1-2-1-2, or 2-3-2-3-2-3, for autocrossing and road track courses. I don't plan on doing a lot of it, but any aftermarket shifter I have ever used has been for drag racing, and I never paid any attention to any other function.

Thanks for the heads up on price, but I have an amazing hookup locally.

8. OsborneConst

Just an update I bought the quicksilver, and it can shift 1-2-1-2-1-2, 2-3-2-3-2-3, or 3-4-3-4-3-4 for that matter.

9. slow poke

slow poke New Member

I have had the Quicksilver in my car for 20yrs. The only time i ever had an issue with it was when i used the B&M cable (to long). I changed it to a factory cable & it has worked great for years. On a side note i have always had the best luck adjusting it in neutral. Good luck & I hope it works as well for you as it has for me.

10. DirtyScotty

DirtyScotty Veteran Member

Have you driven around with it to verify consistency. I also have an 80E and need a shifter.